Too Many Internal Redirects

bryonyroberts / 2016-02-23 18:43:24   

Hi,
I'm managing my mother's website - corybuckner.com - which has a 500 Internal Server Error. I've contacted the server host and they say that there are too many internal redirects and there is a problem with the .htaccess file. When the .htaccess file is disabled, then we get this message - Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in /home/bucknerc/public_html/ndxzstudio/common.php on line 296

This is a very basic site, so I don't know why there would be too many redirects. And now I can't even get to the Indexhibit login to change anything because that page also has the same 500 Internal Server Error.

Can you tell me what causes this error, and how I can login to the page again?

Thank you.

Vaska A / 2016-02-23 19:33:28   

Open up the .htaccess file and see if it's been hacked? Or, just replace it with the one you got from our site unchanged.

The Fatal error notice is strange though because this would indicate something is wrong with the database connection (login or password change) but you should focus on the .htaccess file first.

Additionally, if you are still able to login to the studio then it's simply the .htaccess that is a problem. Unfortunately, these do get hacked from time to time (another good reason to keep backups of yours sites too).

bryonyroberts / 2016-02-24 14:15:14   

Hi Vaska,
Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it and will try that solution.
Unfortunately I can't login to the studio because the login page also has the error message, so I can't even get to the .htaccess file. Is there any other way to log into the studio besides going to this page? corybuckner.com/ndxzstudio/

Vaska A / 2016-02-24 14:50:58   

Yes, via FTP. You don't access .htaccess any other way. Replace the contents of that file first then see what happens (look into the database login/passwords, etc).

bryonyroberts / 2016-02-26 13:27:21   

Hi, thanks for walking me through this. I replaced the .htaccess file with the one from Indexhibit unchanged, but I'm still getting the same error message. Do you know why it could be happening?

Vaska A / 2016-02-26 17:09:19   

I don't really know what's going on. Either, the database connection is messed up or the site was hacked. You could restore your backup (you have one, right?) or you could clean the files. There are threads around here on these topics already...

bryonyroberts / 2016-02-26 17:14:33   

Okay, thank you for letting me know

This thread has been closed, thank you.