Again: No Menu on Desktop after switching to Mobile

steffenknop / 2017-01-14 22:33:22   

Hi, you closed my thread "No Menu on Desktop after switching to Mobile" but the problem still exist, even if I switch the exhibition format to "mobile". Maybe you can have a look again?

Thank you very much

Vaska A / 2017-01-14 22:38:01   

Works just fine for me.

steffenknop / 2017-01-14 22:55:44   

The menu-icon is displayed on my mobile phone. But on a pc browser (safari, firefox) nothing is displayed...

steffenknop / 2017-01-14 22:57:50   

To be more exact: If the browser resolution is bigger than 700 px the menu icon is faded out.

Vaska A / 2017-01-14 22:59:37   

Exactly as it should be. This is why it's called mobile. It's not a responsive template - it works for mobile (not desktop).

steffenknop / 2017-01-14 23:02:56   

But what I do not understand is, why the icon can not be displayed at bigger resolutions? Implemented like this the site does not on pc browser. There is no way to change exhibitions without a menu.

thanks for your answers

Vaska A / 2017-01-14 23:48:09   

You enable it via plugin ONLY - you do not select it as an exhibit format or as a theme.

It only works on mobile under a certain resolution. It doesn't appear at all on desktop (even with a small display). This is not a responsive template.

If you want something else then just customize to make it as you want.

steffenknop / 2017-01-15 00:21:56   

Sorry, maybe I am to silly :) My last question: I would like to have the burger on mobile and the menu on desktop. Is this possible? If yes: how?

I installed totally new. I activated the mobily ready plugin and don´t select the mobile theme or mobile exhibition format. the result is, that the menu is also displayed on my mobile.

Vaska A / 2017-01-15 00:30:26   

You can do as you wish - but you will need to customize.

Maybe in the future our templates will be more robust, but for now they are what they are - really simple.

steffenknop / 2017-01-15 00:37:06   

I don´t understand the concept. sorry. your explanations are not clear. I switch back to my old version...

melle / 2017-01-15 01:05:39   

Actually, I have the same problem as steffenknop is having. Indexhibit.org functions fine on both desktop and mobile, but when I enable it, it messes up my desktop version to the extent that it only shows the index page without navigation. On the phone it shows half of the page, so that's not very useful either. Maybe there's some other files I need to upload/overwrite, I'll look at it.

melle / 2017-01-15 01:08:47   

Forget my post, this (indexhibit.org/forum/thread/22718/) fixes it.

melle / 2017-01-15 01:10:11   

Okay, it didn't, only fixed it for mobile. Works perfectly on mobile with that, but removes the entire index on desktop.

Vaska A / 2017-01-15 02:46:03   

I think my explanation has been adequate.

The mobile display is for mobile - not for desktop. If you want to do something else, you can customize (which has always been how Indexhibit worked).

You enable via Plugins ONLY. You do not select the mobile theme...you do not select mobile format.

@steffen: And switching back solves what problem? Just because you don't understand how mobile works you toss the entire thing out? How about just disabling the mobile plugin? How about writing your own responsive theme?

steffenknop / 2017-01-15 10:36:40   

After switching back I updated again to 2.1.2 and enabled "mobil ready" plugin. As you told me, I did not select mobile theme or mobile exhibit format.
This time nothing happens on mobile. The index is still displayed instead of the burger menu. On pc browser the index is displayed.

I do not have the skills to write a responsive theme.

melle / 2017-01-15 14:16:56   

But what you have on Indexhibit.org works perfectly. So I suppose you use a customised version for this site, and the package has something different entirely?

melle / 2017-01-15 15:48:04   

I think I got it to work, but it's still not perfect on desktop. Will share when I'm done with it.

melle / 2017-01-15 16:45:42   

Edited by Vaska: @melle: Sorry but while it might work, your info is really incorrect. You only enable the mobile ready plugin in Plugins and it will work. You don't need to cut and paste and add files to default, etc. It's not necessary.

Vaska A / 2017-01-15 17:17:25   

@melle: What's used on this website only kind of works. We don't use exhibit formats for much around here (we just have text). Exhibit formats need to be customized to work on a smaller browser and this is a huge amount of work. While the index might work...you are going to have alot of other issues. People don't put their desktop browsers at 700px wide either. Mobile for Indexhibit, right now, is mobile only.

And, on your site, it's breaking...it doesn't even work as you think it does.

steffenknop / 2017-01-15 17:41:53   

So I have done the whole update procedure once again and now it works.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

melle / 2017-01-15 17:54:28   

@Vaska: I do put my browser at smaller sizes, so I'm just assuming I'm not the only one. At least my version works decently, whereas the plugin doesn't work on desktop at all. I don't think many people care for a mobile-only website (especially if navigation doesn't work most of the times, you'll be stuck with 1 page...)

You say my page breaks? I tried Chromium, Safari, FireFox, some virtual browsers, iOS Safari, iOS Chrome, no problems, only, as you said some exhibits don't function as well.

I was just trying to help steffenknop, and he could've done what he wanted if you had kept the links up. I just went here to post a fix to something I'd missed, but I guess you don't care about people continuing your work and sharing their files. Good luck, I guess.

Vaska A / 2017-01-15 18:54:02   

You are welcome to customize your site as you wish.

But it's not a good solution - and yes, it is breaking your site.

People absolutely do care about mobile sites - they use phones.

And Steffen's site works perfectly now...

This thread has been closed, thank you.