Password Syntax Problem with PHP Upgrade

hsiangshine / 2017-03-14 05:45:38   

My server recently rolled out the new PHP and my site, hsiangchinmoe.com , began to have problems with the Allowed Memory Size Error. After some research, I realized I was forced to update my database password which requires at least one symbol [!@#^*()+_,.{}?-] with Media Temple.

After updating the password on the server site and attempted the upgrade my indexhibit from 2.0 to 2.1.4 , I was able to log in phpMyAdmin and I updated the config.php file accordingly. However now I am getting the syntax error message when loading the page "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '!' in /nfs/c06/h05/mnt/94513/domains/hsiangchinmoe.com/html/ndxzsite/config/config.php on line 5". But the symbol is required for the new password!

I am pretty sure I missed something here or overlooked some files or completely guessed everything wrong... Can you please help me out? Thank you!

Vaska A / 2017-03-14 06:06:13   

First of all, you don't have to have one of those symbols. Indexhibit login is separate from your MT login.

Do you have a ! in your password? Try removing it.

I've never seen a problem like this before.

hsiangshine / 2017-03-14 06:22:15   

Hi Vaska! The password I was required to change is the password on the MT dashboard but for the database management user. And one of the password requirements is to add at least one symbol. I thought the code in config.example.php is for the site to access my database therefore I should use the password I updated on the MT dashboard specifically for the database management... In other words, I should use whichever password that allows me log in phpMyAdmin, right? Am I going crazy here?

If I use the password I log in Indexhibit and put it in the config.php, the error message then is "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''ndxzbt_moe’);' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE) in /nfs/c06/h05/mnt/94513/domains/hsiangchinmoe.com/html/ndxzsite/config/config.php on line 8". And moe is part of my database naming...

HALP!

Vaska A / 2017-03-14 07:14:39   

Ah yes, you are right about the db password - that is their setup.

Make sure you follow the example in /ndxzsite/config/example.config.php - make sure you use quotes properly.

hsiangshine / 2017-03-14 20:06:32   

So.... All problems are solved! Here is what I did. But I really don't have much web programming experiences so here is just my best guess to share with you all.

#1 error - "Allowed memory size of 103809024 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes)"
This is probably caused by Media Temple PHP Update for their Grid Service. So the solution is and should be simply upgrading my Indexhibit from 2.0 to 2.1.4...

However here comes #2 error: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '!' in .../html/ndxzsite/config/config.php on line 5".
Media Temple recently increase their security by adding more requirements to the passwords and one of which is add at least one symbol. This is a very stupid mistake which I could've chosen a symbol that is a valid for PHP, instead of using "!". Vaska was right! I should just remove it. Duh!

#3 error is a simple one and which by having proper code editor could've avoided to detect invalid syntax. Don't use TextEdit!

#4 error is that I couldn't properly upgrade Indexhibit to 2.1.4. I was able to log in to Indexhibit but after clicking on the upgrade link, I was redirected to "error 500 - internal server error". And this
thread really helped me out.

Thank you, Vaska and everyone in the forum for your help! Now I am excited to look into the mobile view. :)

This thread has been closed, thank you.