Tips for Upgrading
Friday, 13 January 2017
Believe it or not I get totally stressed out with regards to you guys upgrading your sites. I don't want it to be difficult or worse, see you ruin a perfectly good site. I wish the upgrade process was easier but we have what we have for now.
These are some things you can do before you upgrade a site:
1. Are you running PHP 5.4 or greater? You need this. PHP changed in version 5.4 and we had to write code a little differently to accommodate. Your webhost very likely has the pieces in plan to upgrade your server. For some perspective, PHP 5.3 is nearly 10 years old - if you don't update your server today you may very well need to update tomorrow.
2. Backup your site. Now. Did you do it? Do it before you do anything else. Failure to do this could result in the loss of your site. It's also simply a good habit with regards to your work.
3. Read our news stream. Read any notes around the download link (people already keep missing that it says PHP 5.4 is required). Read the upgrade instructions. Look at the threads at the top of the forum (same questions over and over). There is good information.
4. If you have any good ideas or information about upgrading send them my way - I'd love to make this easier.
5. When you get a little stressed, take a break, then come back and see if things make a little more sense.
That's it! I hope things go well...