FTP hacked

janmussche / 2013-11-03 15:54:28   

My FTP login got hacked and apparently they removed all my folders containing the content of my website.

1. My indexhibit backoffice of my website still looks exactly the same as before, however the links on the homepage do not refer anymore to the content I see in the backoffice. What do I have to do to restore this link?

2. Obviously I am a novice and in a vain attempt to solve my above problem I made things worse: I moved the index.php from the root folder to another (don't ask me why...) and then put it back in the root folder (.../ndxz-studio). This had as a consequence that the website (geraldinevanwessem.com) is now completely down and you get a 'apache 2 test' page when you go there.

Can anyone help with 2 above issue? Thanks!
Jan

arsondpi / 2013-11-03 16:24:28   

What I see in the root directory is (likely) a test/splash server page.
We can't be of further help is you can't restore the files/folders to the right places.
As for the FTP login that has been hacked did you tell your host? How do you know that it has been hacked since the files were still the same.
There could have been a server crash of some sort that messed things up but then your host should know about this as well.

janmussche / 2013-11-03 16:42:00   

My host warned me about the hacking and changed the password for the FTP login, so this should be safe now.

The indexhibit installation was done by someone else and I was just used to uploading pictures in my indexhibit backoffice, very simple. However now everything still seems correct in the backoffice but not on the server and I have no idea how I can restore the link between backoffice and server.

Regarding the test/splash server page, I am afraid I don't know what this is. Before the homepage was still displayed correctly (even after the hacking) but after I moved the index.php file and put it back in its original folder, my website 'became' the test page.

arsondpi / 2013-11-03 18:48:53   

Check if there is an index.html or default.html file - if so, rename or delete it.
Otherwise I would ask your host if they keep backups of their servers and I would revert to the last working version of the site.
If both of the above are not helping then you need to restore the files/folders yourself.
Just keep a backup of the files/folders of your server to your computer - also keep the config.php file intact as it contains your database connection details.

janmussche / 2013-11-04 20:47:08   

Feedback from the webhost: they claim that I have overwritten the 'main' index file by moving it from one place to another and back. They can restore (to the moment before moving the index file, not to a moment before hacking unfortunately) so I can retrieve this main index file, but this does not come cheap...

Now, it seems to me that the different index files are standardised instructions (i.e. not specific from one indexhibit website to another). Is it not possible that I can upload this main index file to the correct folder on the server myself and all is well again (if this index file is available)?

Again, I do apologise if I am making no sense due to my lack of knowledge...

arsondpi / 2013-11-04 20:55:31   

Yes. You can try uploading each of the specific index.php file to each of the specific directories.
As I mentioned above, download all your site to your computer (aka "make a backup")
before attempting anything else.

This thread has been closed, thank you.