Has my site been hacked?

Aelcs / 2016-03-13 16:24:01   

I just noticed a funny thing on the statistics page of my site. There is an "Popular Exhibit" listed as "chaseonlinebank/files", which I have not created, and has multiple visits. Does this mean that my site has been hacked? I tried clicking on it, and it sent me to my homepage.

I just deleted a couple exhibits that I had created but had inactivated, in case their existence was making my site vulnerable in some way.
Please let me know if I should be alarmed!

Thanks,
Amelia

Vaska A / 2016-03-13 16:25:47   

Nope. You are getting referrer spam. It's annoying as hell but your site is likely just fine.

The way to resolve it is with some insane htaccess rules - you should search the greater web for that. There might be threads around here from years ago but I don't know.

Aelcs / 2016-03-13 16:56:44   

Thank you Vaska. Good to know that I shouldn't be concerned. I'll try doing some research into it. Thanks again for your speedy reply!

Aelcs / 2016-03-16 15:16:15   

I have looked into this situation a little deeper, and it does appear that something strange is going on. I've contacted hostgator and they put me in touch with a company called sitelock, who have offered me a security system of sorts. I am debating canceling just canceling my site.

Right now for some reason my password is not working for my indexhibit site, and when I try to reset it I received this text at the top of my screen:

"Warning: mail(): Multiple or malformed newlines found in additional_header in /home2/amelia/public_html/ndxzstudio/lib/mail.php on line 155"

Could you please let me know what this means, and how I might be able to reset my password?

Thanks in advance!

Vaska A / 2016-03-16 15:38:10   

Password reset is in the Plugins section of our site.

You don't need Sitelock - it's lame they are trying to upsell you on that. Webhosts suck...all of them. But, referrer spam isn't something they can help you with...it's like flies on the internet that problem.

Aelcs / 2016-03-18 14:47:55   

Ha ha! Thanks for that clarification. :-)

Aelcs / 2016-03-18 16:52:10   

Hi again, Sorry so many questions.
I downloaded the plugin to reset my password, put in my ndxzstudio folder, and tried again but got a "page not found" page from hostgator. Please let me know if I might be doing something wrong!
Thank you.

Vaska A / 2016-03-18 17:21:44   

You have to be triply sure you are putting it in the right location - that simple means you can't find the file. Sorry, for FTP hassles, but we have no control over that.

Aelcs / 2016-03-18 19:10:50   

Got it to work and was able to update my password.
Hopefully that's last time a bug you!
Thanks for all your responses,
much appreciated.

Vaska A / 2016-03-18 19:11:37   

;)

This thread has been closed, thank you.