Images won't upload...

sharpfield / 2009-08-14 19:58:06   

Hi,
I've installed indexhibit for a few friends before and helped customise them also, it's a great CMS I'm definitely going to donate as a thanks!

At the moment I'm experiencing a problem on a friend's website, I've installed indexhibit, everything's fine but I can't upload images (I've tried on FF and Safari). The browser shows that I'm contacting the site and it appears to upload but nothing happens after it seems to finish uploading.

I changed the permissions for the relevant folders (files and gimgs) and double-checked, they're still at 777.

I'm kind of stumped, should I contact the web server and if so, what should I ask?

Best,
C

sharpfield / 2009-08-14 20:00:41   

Oh and, should've added this before, I've tried uploading images over the space of a few days from different computers, some normal sized files and some really small with no result and I've not been able to upload ever on this site. Nor do I get an error message, it just appears that nothing happens after I wait for the image to upload.

Thanks in advance.

Vaska A / 2009-08-15 02:28:01   

Probably a weak server on shared hosting that is always too busy for uploads.

sharpfield / 2009-08-25 13:18:52   

Hm, the hosting isn't shared and only has a few files on it. Is it probably a MySql problem?

The hosting company reckon they're up to the Indexhibit requirements but it's getting a bit of a problem - is it possible to link up Indexhibit to a mysql database on another server?

sharpfield / 2009-08-27 14:53:28   

Anyone done this/know if I can do this?

Vaska A / 2009-08-27 15:52:00   

It really should work. Honestly, I have never seen the uploader be a problem on a good server. It's only an issue on servers that need to be upgrade (old GD library), are way too busy (shared hosting) or if the images are simply too big.

To me this still sounds like a server that has too many users issue.

sharpfield / 2009-08-30 17:42:49   

Christ, I'm pretty stuck then... Sorry to be a pain.

According to Supanames, the package for the webspace is fine for Indexhibit. I just checked the MySql database with another MySql database I use on separate hosting for a different website and it's fine.

The website has never been slow in my experience of using it, there's some images on it already (not loads) of decent size and it can handle loading those. I've no idea what's up!

Is it worth re-installing? And is there anyway I can do that without losing the content and exhibits I've put on Indexhibit?

Vaska A / 2009-08-30 17:48:49   

What is your site?

sharpfield / 2009-08-30 18:42:44   

Here's the site: http://tinyurl.com/mqao8h

sharpfield / 2009-09-10 14:49:29   

In the end I bought new webspace and moved everything over, it now works fine. Not sure what was wrong though, I was using Supanames who seem alright (bar the fact that they didn't reply to any of my support e-mails...)!

Thanks for your responses again, Vaska.

Vaska A / 2009-09-10 14:59:43   

Wow, they never even answered...that's crazy.

Happy to hear you got it working. Now the fun begins.

;)

quickle / 2009-12-17 19:57:02   

I am having this same problem, only the difference is it has been working for several months and I'm not trying to make a new site. this just started happening.
I hit upload and when it's finished uploading the file never appears. I've tried firefox, safari and chrome on different machines.

I use media temple, I think they're pretty solid.
Is it possible I messed something up?

Thanks for everything btw. this is such the killer app.

Vaska A / 2009-12-17 21:05:00   

Permissions...

quickle / 2009-12-18 23:51:40   

files and gimgs are both 777, it still doesn't work. i thought it had something to do with the network at school but it's the same elsewhere. :(

quickle / 2009-12-19 00:50:52   

i'm reinstalling

quickle / 2009-12-19 01:32:16   

I reinstalled everything, deleted my database and made a new one. permissions are 777.

files still won't upload. everything else seems to work fine.

caseymcgonagle.com

quickle / 2009-12-19 03:02:46   

I tried this, just as an experiement:

As a follow-up to this we solved the problem. It's partially a bug with Indexhibit and partially how this particular server works. We needed to force permissions explicitly onto the image, thumbnail and system thumbnail. So, in the /ndxz-studio/module/exhibits/index.php file at line 1411 we changed to these:

1. @chmod($IMG->path . '/' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
2. @chmod($IMG->path . '/th-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);
3. @chmod($IMG->path . '/sys-' . $IMG->filename, 0644);

This won't necessarily work on all servers, but if you are having this problem it's worth a try.

it's still not working.

quickle / 2009-12-19 04:15:39   

ok i figured it out. i downloaded all of my jpegs from my indexhibit website so I could reorganize them. I think that they got renamed with .jpeg extensions by indexhibit (i don't remember naming them that way, I use .jpg) but when I tried to re-upload them the software wouldn't accept files with .jpeg extensions.

I hope this information is useful somehow.

thanks

patrickdunaway / 2009-12-22 05:39:46   

Having the same problem with uploading images. They appear to upload but then they are gone. Checked and rechecked permissions and reinstalled as well. Files are very small as well. Anything that I'm missing?

thanks

tchu / 2009-12-23 23:54:48   

Sadly, I am having this exact same problem. When I try to upload, the image appears to have done so by appearing on the right (with a small delete button), but then disappears again immediately after I click 'upload'.

Checked all permissions, edited the /ndxz-studio/module/exhibits/index.php file at line 1411 as advised above by Quickle, and tried in firefox/safari with images < 200kb.

I am using the MIT student server (scripts.mit.edu) - http://tchu.scripts.mit.edu

Any help would be deeply deeply appreciated!

Happy Holidays,
Tiffany
tchu

malina / 2009-12-29 22:41:51   

I had the same problem. here's what I did:

When you upload a image and then it disapears I think it's because you havent put the php error messages at "on" (on your host website in the control pannel/ advanced settings). I did that and then you get a message right away with the reason of the problem.

Mine said that somethin somethin image to big... but it was 160kb which is not big but actually what matters are the number pixels per inch, so maybe they should be something smaller around 800x600

it worked for me, hope it helps you also

dgl / 2009-12-30 01:29:34   

malina, you fixed my problem.
it's best to upload images with 1000 pixels per inch or smaller.

thanks.

eco / 2010-01-13 15:16:14   

malina, you solved my problem too :) I don't quite understand the double limitation (image byte size PLUS image width/height). but this seems to be a problem many people encounter and it should be first on the "common questions list" so one does not have to work his/her way through the rights management thing first which does not cause the problem anyway. what are the actual max. pixel dimensions that are tolerated? is this an internal limitation. why not get rid of it and just rely on the byte size?

cheers

eco

kristinb / 2010-05-09 21:31:04   

I had this problem too! The images were only around 1Mb when I tried to upload them, but they just disappeared after the upload. So I opened them in Photoshop and clicked on Image Size. According to the pixel dimensions there, the images were about 50 Mb each! They were only 72 ppi, but very big in mm size so I just made them smaller and I could then upload them.

Just a parentheses:
All web/screen based images only need 72 ppi, more than that is only necessary when you want something printed.

If you want to print a photo or image that needs good quality, you need 300 ppi/dpi. You can have lower, eg. 150 or 200 but you risk it getting pixelated, depending on how big the print is.

• ppi=pixels per inch - refers to on-screen images
• dpi=dots per inch - refers to printed images. dots are the printed equivalents of pixels

arsondpi / 2010-05-10 09:49:19   

...hey people - I suggest that your images to be less than 600Kb...

danburke / 2010-10-14 08:31:59   

Hello, I am suffering from the same problem. My images just disappear when I try and upload them. They are all well below 600kb and no larger than 800x800 pixels. PHP error messages are on.

No error messages appear, and I've uploaded plenty in the past.

Any ideas?

ende / 2010-10-26 21:41:14   

same problem guys and any solution on the horizon.
my pic (rgb/.jpg/72dpi/150kb) just disappear when i try to upload 'em. they are on the server but i can see them in the exhibition.

s4rg10 / 2010-10-30 02:52:30   

I'm having same problem, cant upload files

- installed correctly
- all folders permission set correct
- uploaded pictures dont show up
- files are 600x600 and under 100kb
- hosting not overcrowded or slow

anyone figured out whats the problem if not anyone got link for free/cheap hosting that indexhibit works on?

Vaska A / 2010-10-30 05:41:46   

We don't support free hosting because there are always random issues. Ask your friends for recommendations regarding hosting (we don't do them here - read the forum rules).

freyapowell / 2013-11-24 14:51:17   

I am having a problem where I click add files, choose a file and then the uploading progress bar doesn't do anything and the page just stays like that. If I then click upload files it opens a window to choose another file... I am trying with images that are 600 x 432, RGB, 759 kb, and have tried both jpg and jpeg extensions.... Any thoughts? Oh, and all permissions are set to 777, host is fine, installed correctly...

arsondpi / 2013-11-24 14:54:54   

Hello!
Do you have a Version 2 site or a Legacy version site?
This is a Legacy version site thread :-)

This thread has been closed, thank you.