The Visual Index Project

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 15:15:43   

Edited: links removed - out of date

I made these long ago and tried to release them for others to help finalize but was only met with randomness. I'm trying again...

If you want, work with these, improve them...change them...and share back your results and code and see if others can make use of them as well.

Visual Index Main makes a visual index of all exhibits on your site that have images uploaded to them.

Visual Index Section does the same but only for exhibits in the particular section that your exhibit resides in.

And, an official and super awesome Visual Index is coming in the future...

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 15:17:03   

Please post in this thread only if you have constructive criticism and things to show/share...not if you want to tell us that you don't like the way the thumbs or you need it to speak in twelve languages or that you only like the color blue.

;)

celandow / 2010-10-25 15:48:17   

Hey Vaska, thanks so much for putting this up. So I put "Visual Index Main" on the main page and its displaying nicely (I just have to mess with CSS later..) however when I click the thumbnail it cannot connect to the exhibit. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks again.

celandow / 2010-10-25 15:48:32   

Sorry, my site: http://www.chandleremory.com

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 15:51:23   

Ah yes, I see the problem. The short term fix is that you enable 'clean' urls on your site - look at the end of the How to Install page for info about that. The longer fix, I can't do right now, will be to make some fast edits to the format so that it can deal with non-clean urls.

And Chandler, you need to link back to Indexhibit...please read the forum rules, thanks.

celandow / 2010-10-25 15:54:29   

Great - thanks for the help. And ahhhh sorry about that! I was planning on putting an indexhibit link under the "Links" page once I went more public; but I'll put a link on the index for now. Thanks so much!!

celandow / 2010-10-25 16:02:34   

Crap my hosting won't allow me to enable clean URLs. Is there something I can do in the meantime?

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 16:11:31   

Download and try again...a fast update. Hope it works...

celandow / 2010-10-25 16:26:13   

Awesome, works perfectly!! Thanks so much for your time

celandow / 2010-10-25 16:44:09   

Sorry to bother you again but I'm looking around for some Plugin Customization guidelines but I couldn't find any. I just wanna mess around with the size of the thumbnails, the distance apart, etc.; do you know where I could find something to help me?

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 17:26:35   

Read the first post...

celandow / 2010-10-25 17:43:09   

Haha I'm sorry my question is more for help, not critique though. Should I create a new thread or do you have any tips?

Vaska A / 2010-10-25 23:44:42   

Hi Richard!

;)

rickykappa / 2010-10-25 23:52:14   

hi Vaska!
I'm just passing by... these days I'm busy :-P
I'd rather like to be in a desert... are you still there?

Vaska A / 2010-10-26 00:10:40   

Oh yeah...it's awesome. In two weeks though I'll be passing through NYC and some Europes. Coooooooooold.

Vaska A / 2010-10-27 20:59:02   

Rather surprised by the lack of interest in this. Even after people have asked billions of times about this kind of thing. Maybe it's not something people really want?

rickykappa / 2010-10-27 23:10:11   

It happened already that the top red thread wasn't noticed at all (I guess it was the centered theme thread)... however I see quite some visits to my site referred from this thread, maybe people need time to try it?

Vaska A / 2010-10-27 23:48:03   

Yeah, I'm not going to take it down...just wondering out loud.

But I really thought people would jump on this quickly.

;)

ivo_valadares / 2010-10-28 12:12:49   

Hello.

It's really nice to have this plug in and so I'm trying it.

The text comes like double. "work" is where the plugin is active.

It's also showing the images from the pages of the section that are no active.

cheers and thanks

blameme / 2010-10-28 16:02:05   

I think Ricky is right, people just don´t see the red threads, maybe an anmiated gif of a cat would draw attention... ;)

ivo_valadares / 2010-10-28 20:29:37   

Maybe :-)

arsondpi / 2010-10-29 12:21:04   

...like the one in Mathieu's post?

Vaska A / 2010-10-29 13:21:09   

I'm going to create a super 'stick' mode and give it a new style with kitties, rainbows and unicorns...

patrickroppel / 2010-10-29 14:27:52   

dear vaska

this is an absolutely fantastic tool and it kick me to redo my whole webside, using the two pllug ins as navigation objects. now i am just wondering, if there is anyway of manipulating the order. right now, the oldest exhibition comes alway at first place. could you give me a hint on how i could attack this, without any knowledge of anything but a lot of will for trial and error?

best patrick

Vaska A / 2010-10-29 18:39:56   

Ah, that's not good...it's in the query...but I'm tired right now...I'll try to look over the weekend. Maybe somebody else will feel like sorting that out before then? ;)

Thanks for the note.

rickykappa / 2010-10-30 00:15:55   

somehow I've missed these 3 lines in the post above, they're not important for the plugin to work, but they're important!
;-)

* Based on
* Visual Index Main
* @version 1.0

rickykappa / 2010-10-30 08:45:42   

oh well, morning apologies: the above plugin is not exactly the one used in my home page, but it's viewable.
in the home I'm using a modified version which limits the output of the displayed exhibits (e.g. 18 thumbs, at the bottom of the page).

sorry for posting so much, but that's for clarity.
happy weekend
:-)

blameme / 2010-11-03 15:21:53   

@arson,
Excactly like that! As well as getting my attention it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly!

KGracey / 2010-11-04 15:33:35   

Hey Vaska, any more progress on ordering the exhibits? I appreciate all the hard work, and I already have this installed and running on my buddies portfolio site, but we can't move forward without the ability to order the projects!

Also, all of the 'hidden' exhibits are still showing up on the homepage with this plugin.

I know its a work in progress! Let us know. Thanks a lot Vaska

basw / 2010-11-07 00:06:04   

I was definitely waiting for this. Cheers. I've used an other plugin posted on the forum for my sister's site (http://www.eengatindelucht.nl/) but it is not exactly what I want. I am gonna try this one out.

Btw, Vaska, thanks for making Indexhibit :)

ps / 2010-11-08 09:54:33   

KGracey, by what would you want to order it? manually?

1. To fix the hidden/shown issue, after line 24 insert this: AND hidden = 0
  2. and you're done.
  3. :)

Vaska, where are the kittens?
Thanks for posting this, btw.
I have some ideas, will be in touch

cheers guys
phil

Vaska A / 2010-11-08 22:01:57   

Great! Thanks for tossing these back at us...I'm sure everybody appreciates (I sure do).

;)

Vaska A / 2010-11-08 22:08:34   

Phil, did I owe you an email long ago about RSS? Awhile back I had a big email mishap and deleted a bunch of emails (and didn't have a backup). Was it you I was talking to about that...I'm really sorry if this was you.

Maybe I'm remembering the wrong person though...?

rachelsender / 2010-11-09 17:19:40   

As soon as the official version comes out I'm going to try it for sure! Thanks Vaska!

7 / 2010-11-09 18:22:07   

Niiice. This thing is the way to go ;) Haven't had time to look at this til this new thread about it surfaced. Cheers guys, tried it out, will save alot on hand coding! And I guess it can be styled up too

patrickroppel / 2010-11-10 10:23:47   

hey ps. thanks for the ordering thing. its doing the job perfectly fine. only the ordering in the main index is a bit a problem. as it keeps the section order. and as this is an overall index, it would be quite nice to always have the latest project on top. maybe in this case, the original plug in from vaska should be used. i gave it a try and placed the DESC in. but as i have no clue about it, i probably placed it in the wrong line or so. would this be possible?

any help would be greatly appreciated. best patrick

patrickroppel / 2010-11-10 10:24:06   

hey ps. thanks for the ordering thing. its doing the job perfectly fine. only the ordering in the main index is a bit a problem. as it keeps the section order. and as this is an overall index, it would be quite nice to always have the latest project on top. maybe in this case, the original plug in from vaska should be used. i gave it a try and placed the DESC in. but as i have no clue about it, i probably placed it in the wrong line or so. would this be possible?

any help would be greatly appreciated. best patrick

ps / 2010-11-10 12:00:44   

Patrick, it's indeed ordering them first by section, then by (custom) order.
I figured that if you have lots of exhibits/lots of sections and order all exhibits cross sectional it would be hard to oversee in the backend which place the exhibits will end up at on your page...

Having said that, here's a quick fix to this (un)order:
If you want to index all exhibits by date, no matter what section they're in, just delete the "section_id," part, after "ORDER BY,"

cheers
phil

patrickroppel / 2010-11-10 15:09:05   

hey ps

thanks a million. this way it is very easy to customise a whole new way of navigation on indexhibit... which is fantastic.

but one question leads to another. would it be possible to exlude a section in the main index?

let me know if this is becoming a hassle....

cheers patrick

ps / 2010-11-10 16:06:57   

Should be easy too, I think you could simply add "AND section_id x" to the query before the ORDER BY line.. (exchange x with the section ID you want to exlude)

To find out which section_id your section has, go to your settings, edit the section you want exluded, and have a look at the adress bar, it should show the actual id #.

dhb / 2010-11-25 03:29:55   

Hi! This is great, but I\'m having difficulty figuring out how does this can work together with projects containing only video, or text. They won\'t show up as a projecs in the index. Is there a way to add/change thumbnails?
\n

dhb / 2010-11-25 03:30:07   

Hi! This is great, but I\'m having difficulty figuring out how does this can work together with projects containing only video, or text. They won\'t show up as a projecs in the index. Is there a way to add/change thumbnails?
\n

Vaska A / 2010-11-25 04:10:25   

Indexhibit relies upon things having images - it will not work with text or video onlly based exhibitions.

dhb / 2010-11-25 04:17:25   

Right- I see.

\n\n

So I do want an image to represent the post (as a thumb); but i don\'t nessecarily want to repeat this image in the post.

\n\n

I think i\'ve found a way to make it work, through using (and renaming) the thickbox theme with posts having video/text only, and hiding thickbox images through css. (other posts use slideshow)

\n\n

This way an image to represent the post appears in the index, but not in the post itself. Which is what i want to accomplish.

\n\n

(btw. sorry for the unintentional double-post earlier).

KT_ / 2010-12-03 08:50:09   

Great Plugin! Really excited about it.

@dhb did you have any luck using the plugin for pages with no images? I also would like not to repeat the image in the post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks all.

rickykappa / 2010-12-06 09:40:15   

I guess that also a transparent image could work sometimes (or white if you have a white background)

brendandawes / 2010-12-10 04:26:03   

It seems everyone can get this working but me!

Even though many of my exhibitions contain images nothing shows up. It seems like it doesn't find any pages to iterate through. I've tried both the main and section versions and the updated versions but nothing - just a blank page.

I've looked at the PHP code and all looks good.

Any ideas to try?

Thanks.

Jansen / 2010-12-21 08:41:48   

So.

I do appreciate your guys work a lot and enjoy using indexhibit a lot.
Now I was trying to use the Visual Index Plugin and like brendandawes mentioned before – nothing shows up at all.
I downloaded the updated files, copied them to the proper folder, set up a new exhibition and used Visual Index as exhibition format. After I published the whole thing, nothing shows up at all – anyone ever heard of this issue before?

Thanks a lot for your help and merry christmas everyone!

Jansen / 2010-12-21 08:42:09   

So.

I do appreciate your guys work a lot and enjoy using indexhibit a lot.
Now I was trying to use the Visual Index Plugin and like brendandawes mentioned before – nothing shows up at all.
I downloaded the updated files, copied them to the proper folder, set up a new exhibition and used Visual Index as exhibition format. After I published the whole thing, nothing shows up at all – anyone ever heard of this issue before?

Thanks a lot for your help and merry christmas everyone!

Jansen / 2010-12-21 08:43:26   

A lot of posts using the phrase "a lot" quite a lot. Sorry for that.

This thread has been closed, thank you.