Our first meeting for Indexhibit took place in a chocolate shop in Brussels around October 2006. At the time it did not have a name and I usually referred to it as the 'drawer project' (that was the intial working analogy in my mind). I had been building Indexhibit for some months before that already. I don’t think we had any idea that it might still be around 10 years later.
Ultimately, Indexhibit was released about March-April of 2007. I still remember the first users who popped up in the forum and in email. I'm still friends with some of them. The internet was such a different place than it is now - a place where most of us were excited for and cared about open ideas and systems.
Indexhibit wasn’t a startup. It wasn’t created to make money. It wasn’t created to build a sellable database or to fulfill some marketing strategy. It was made to be useful, to fulfill an idea. It was, and still wants to be, an art project. Beyond that, in the beginning, there was no plan.
I’m sorry I haven’t had time to do anything more fun for the anniversary, but if you have any good thoughts or notes to send about Indexhibit maybe I’ll post some of these. Send to: studio at vaska dot com.
If you’ve been around 10 years or even if you are quite new to Indexhibit, thanks for hanging in there, thanks for using it and hopefully loving it as much as is possible. Let’s hope there are another 10 years left in this project.
I get this question quite alot and the answer is very simple.
Indexhibit is free. Register and download from the website.
Support is provided by the community.
Indexhibit is no longer a business - it just didn't work out. I try to help out as I can and I am keeping things updated at the moment.
Wednesday, 8 February 2017
Just to let you know that version 2.1.4 was just released. This is just a small update but here are the particulars:
- fixed the installation script
- updated /ndxzsite/js/jquery.ndxzbox.js - variable check
- updated /ndxzsite/plugin/format.mobile.php - fixed titles bug
If you are a new installation or upgrading this version will work better.
I have a small amount of non-critical bugs on my plate but I don't forsee pushing out any updates for another month at the soonest.
I'm still catching up on the little things - here's a list of v2.1.3. updates:
- Updated /ndxzsite/plugin/plugin.new_statistics.php (referrer issue)
- Updated /ndxzstudio/system/index.php (small object bug)
- Updated /ndxzstudio/system/files.php (mobile theme selection)
- Updated /ndxzstudio/exhibits/files.php (mobile format selection)
- Updated /ndxzstudio/lib/hooks.php (incorrect variable type)
- Updated sorting for upgrades - now you should get the correct version number
- Updated /ndxzsite/default/style.css for the "New" indicator
You simply only need to reupload the /ndxzstudio folder (backup first!). And then click on the upgrade link inside the studio.
Reupload /ndxzsite/default/style.css if you use the "New" indicator or apply the update to whatever theme you might be using (I've commented where it exists in the file).
I've had a bunch of nice email recently - I really appreciate the support. Thank you!
Believe it or not I get totally stressed out with regards to you guys upgrading your sites. I don't want it to be difficult or worse, see you ruin a perfectly good site. I wish the upgrade process was easier but we have what we have for now.
These are some things you can do before you upgrade a site:
1. Are you running PHP 5.4 or greater? You need this. PHP changed in version 5.4 and we had to write code a little differently to accommodate. Your webhost very likely has the pieces in plan to upgrade your server. For some perspective, PHP 5.3 is nearly 10 years old - if you don't update your server today you may very well need to update tomorrow.
2. Backup your site. Now. Did you do it? Do it before you do anything else. Failure to do this could result in the loss of your site. It's also simply a good habit with regards to your work.
3. Read our news stream. Read any notes around the download link (people already keep missing that it says PHP 5.4 is required). Read the upgrade instructions. Look at the threads at the top of the forum (same questions over and over). There is good information.
4. If you have any good ideas or information about upgrading send them my way - I'd love to make this easier.
5. When you get a little stressed, take a break, then come back and see if things make a little more sense.
That's it! I hope things go well...
Thursday, 12 January 2017
Today I pushed out version 2.1.2.
Your old statistics script will not work. Disable standard statistics and enable New Statistics via the plugins section. If you are upgrading, you will need to replace root /index.php of your site, as well.
This is a list of things that were worked on for this release:
- added New Statistics plugin
- added site password to core plugins
- added Assets control panel back
- added cache folder (sorry!)
- updated "New" indicator for index
- fixed small bug in overlay (visual index)
- fixed small display but in Slideshow
- fixed bug in upgrade system
- fixed style plugin for mobile
- fixed caching (and for mobile too)
- fixed bug for inserting link email
Indexhibit is now on Github. I hope we find some contributors who can help make the core better (right now it's the most important thing). I am planning to put out an update every three or four months at our website.
At my website I will be releasing a variety of themes, plugins and a little more in the coming months. These are not core Indexhibit and I'm doing this for fun!
There is more, but this note is long enough...stay tuned!