alterations

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 13:54:13   

As i'm pretty new to the game of html I tend to ask a lot of weird and sometimes stupid questions. So bare with me, and use this thread to your amusement. I like to make people laugh. Anyway, back to my comedy sketch...

I've been looking at other html sources to get a rough idea of what the possibilities are. I just can't figure out how i can change or even see the code for my site name, at the top of the webpage. It still reads Main : extrafunk (http://www.extrafunk.com).

Second question:
How can i add an image to the left section of the webpage? Some people have added an image or .jpg title to personalize their site (for example: http://www.liekedevink.nl).

Okay, let's start with these to questions, and i'll be back with more in the very near future. I must say i like this forum, helping others to realize a great product, which can always be updated. Hopefully one day I'll have the capability to help someone else.

Thanks a bunch!

mark

blameme / 2008-08-05 14:24:24   

Hey Mark,
1. I don't have the answer for the first question other than It's compiled of your exhibition name and the name of the individual exhibit, I'm guessing it's in the .php somewhere.

2. To add a header above the menu you can just go to "settings" in the editor and then add the url of your image to the "Pre-Nav Text" section.

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 14:39:02   

For the first quesiton, check out your index.php file in your theme folder Your probably using Sample, so it would be located at: -

1. /ndxz-studio/site/sample/index.php

Change the following line to whatever you wish: -

1. <title><%title%> - <%obj_name%></title>

<%title%> is obviously the page title, and <%obj_name%> is your sites name. You can remove the title or obj_name, or put anything else there (as long as you don't mind EVERY page having the same name).

Peace.

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 14:52:31   

leslie,

thanks for taking the time to respond! But i must admit i'm not sure what you mean with theme folder.

You guys are all just using indexhibit and no other software, right? Because if you mention my index.php i immediately go to Fetch.

I think i just cried...

mark

blameme / 2008-08-05 15:10:44   

Hey mark,
By the theme folder LeslieOA means the folder which contains the theme you're using, and guessing that you're using the "sample" theme you can access it with your ftp client and go to /ndxz-studio/site/sample/index.php.

Hope that makes sense, I'm overdue for sleeping.

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 15:12:21   

Hahaha, don't worry Mark, we can get this sorted out!

So, your FTP client is Fetch, so your on a Mac also.

1. From the root of your FTP (usually represented as /) go to the following: -ndxz-studio/ then from that folder site/.

Within that folder you should see the following folders: -

1. css/
  2. eatock/
  3. img/
  4. plugin/
  5. sample/

If you've created a new theme (note: both 'eatock' and 'sample' are themes) you'll find it there also.

I'm going to use sample as an example (your currently using eatock which is slightly bad practise, but I'll get back to that).

In the sample folder (located at /ndxz-studio/site/sample/) there's a file called index.php. Thats the file you want to edit (just like a plain text file).

Download it (make a backup) and open it to edit the following near the top: -

1. <title><%title%> - <%obj_name%></title>

Now, the <%title%> tag is for the current pages title (e.g. 'About this site'), and <%obj_name%> is your sites name (e.g. 'Extrafunk').

You can remove the title or obj_name tags to have one or the other, or put anything else there

Some examples: -

1. <strong>Just the page title</strong>
  2. <title><%title%></title>
  1. <strong>Just the site name</strong>
  2. <title><%obj_name%></title>
  1. <strong>Other text (that will always appear in title) and page name</strong>
  2. <title>You are currently at my <%title%> page</title>

Hope this clears things up (a little better).

Let us know! Peace.

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 15:15:47   

Ah, forgot to mention. Vaska advises users NOT to use the eatock theme and to use sample instead. eatock is 'built in' to Indexhibit and is recreated under certain circumstances.

Make a copy of the eatock folder and name it something like 'marks'. Select that from Settings page, and you should be good to continue, sans potential future tears.

Peace!

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 15:46:13   

Leslie,

As i wipe away the tears, things become more clear. Now i'm having difficulties opening the php-file. I guess i should first download either BBEdit of TextWrangler to get things going? When i double click the php (in fetch) it only reads that it has transfered the file.

So all the scripting is done like this? And not within indexhibit itself? I'm ashamed to admit this but i once made a free site using blogger, which kinda works like dreamweaver, where you can see both html and the final product. So instant scripting/ adjustments can be implemented.

I'll try not to cry in the near future. Your replies do seems to help, perhaps i can buy a round trip UK so you can help me ;)

mark

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 15:49:10   

Or can i use Golive?

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 15:51:21   

ok, GoLive works... haha, i'm getting somewhere after 5 hours of non-stop smoking

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 16:06:45   

Leslie,

I've made the change to extrafunk in my index PHP. I saved the file and uploaded it back to my server, but it doesn't seem to change anything. You can view my source, and see that it reads Main : extrafunk.

mark

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 16:12:38   

Ok, perhaps it has something to do with what you mentioned earlier. How do i know if i'm using the eatock or the sample theme? And why is it still an option if Vaska doesn't want us to use it?

Make a copy of the eatock folder and name it something like 'marks'. Select that from Settings page, and you should be good to continue, sans potential future tears

So by doing this? I automatically switch to the Sample theme?

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 16:13:57   

GoLive works (but Dreamweaver's definately better though) but the follwoing rock: -

Free and excellent
Smultron

Cost(ly) and amazing
Coda (Fscking amazing application!)
TextMate

You can (obviously) still create and edit pages the normal web interface way, but yes, most tweaking and modifying is done in XHTML/PHP in .php files, stylesheets in .css and (for some) JavaScript.

Check other Indexhibit sites (including mine) and view their page source to see what they are doing.

Make backups, experiement, cut down to 1 ciggerette an hour and try chewing gum instead

;-)

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 16:28:02   

Ok, i'll stick with php to start off with then! But any idea on my previous question:

Leslie,

I've made the change to (title) extrafunk (title) in my index PHP. I saved the file and uploaded it back to my server, but it doesn't seem to change anything. You can view my source, and see that it reads Main : extrafunk.

mark

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 16:31:53   

the index.php doesn't line-up with the current source. It shows me the basic html page, not including the elements i already added. Strange. Is there another php-file then? Or am i using something else?

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 17:28:09   

Eatock theme
It's explained somewhere on the forums, but I figure the main reason is that it acts as an irreplaceable emergency backup that is automatically restored just in case your were to somehow hose your site... and it promotes the Indexhibit teams ideology.

Switching and editing themes
You can check what theme your using by visiting your Settings page (which for you would be located at http://www.extrafunk.com/ndxz-studio/?a=exhibits&q=settings.

Fig 1
Select 'Settings' from your Exhibits page: -

Fig 2
Select the drop down (which would read 'Sample' for you) and select your theme: -

I would (still) highly suggest using Sample or plain copying the Eatock folder and naming the new copy something like 'Test', 'Theme' or 'Extrafunk'. This will help you avoid the pitfalls suggested earlier.

Note: - The Eatock and Sample theme are practically identical, so don't be alarmed if you still don't notice any immediate changes. The best way to find out if your theme has changed is to visit your homepage and view the sourcecode in a web browser (with Safari, View -> View Source) and check for the following: -

1. <link rel='stylesheet' href='http://www.extrafunk.com/ndxz-studio/site/<strong>sample</strong>/style.css' type='text/css' />

You want the bit after http://www.extrafunk.com/ndxz-studio/site/ to read sample and NOT eatock (if you choose to stick with the sample theme).

Try to edit the title again in index.php under your new chosen theme folder and see how that goes.

Not sure what you mean by "the index.php doesn't line-up with the current source. It shows me the basic html page, not including the elements i already added.", but I would suggest using one of the plain text editors I suggested above (Smultron) and downloading the files off of your FTP before editing if your having difficulty editing the index.php.

Good luck and keep at it, it'll make sense and were here to help.

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 17:30:56   

..sadly the screenshots didn't embed (arghhh!!!), so here are the links: -

Fig 1
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1567/42929948ep2.png

Fig 2
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1134/86816722om6.png

Peace.

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 18:57:37   

Leslie,

thanks for the advice, i've been experimenting and getting a basic grip on things. I might be over my head, but I wanted to implement a favicon. I've got the image and folder, which I uploaded in my Sample folder (yes, Sample folder ;)). Then i added the following script after < head > :

< head>< link rel="shortcut icon" href="../../favicon.ico" >/ndxz-site/< %obj_theme%>/favicon.ico' >< /head >

Minus the individual spacing next to the brackets, so you can view it.

But it doesn't appear. All I get is the code: /ndxz-site/ sample/ favicon.ico' > in the top left hand corner of my webpage. This is only the case on my pc, not on my mac. On my mac it doesn't show anything. Perhaps i've got the scripting wrong, or shouldn't i have placed the folder in the Sample folder?

getting there, just not quit yet...and chewing gum is so cheap compared to siggie's.

mark

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 19:15:34   

On cigs/gum
I know the feeling. I know I should quit, but I've turned into a social smoker now. So if I'm not out, I'm (hopefully) not smoking.

Favicons
This threads good... but your problem pretty easy to fix, so...

Your current markup is trying to go 3 folder down (../../../) to find the icon.

Your icons located at http://www.extrafunk.com/ndxz-studio/site/sample/favicon.ico, so your <link> tag should read as one of the following: -

1. <link rel='shortcut icon' href='http://www.leslieoa.co.cc/ndxz-studio/site/sample/favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon' />
  2. ...or, even better...
  1. <link rel='shortcut icon' href='<%baseurl%><%basename%>/site/<%obj_theme%>/favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon' />
extrafunk / 2008-08-05 19:52:04   

Okay, so you've proven that you are a html smoking genius... and i'm just a feeble minded smoker =)

Hence the fact that you once again helped me out! It works! Just not on my pc (explorer).
Even though it works, i seem to be a little confused (..you don't say!). I can understand the part where the markup is trying to go 3 folder down: ndxz-studio - site - sample - favicon.ico...

then how do you come up with this part at the end of both proposals:

type='image/x-icon' />/ ?

mark

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 20:06:24   

Leslie,

Forgot to reply to your previous post:

Not sure what you mean by "the index.php doesn't line-up with the current source. It shows me the basic html page, not including the elements i already added."

What i meant to say was the following: I've been editing and experimenting in the index.php file. That file doesn't contain all the code that i've already added earlier on this site by creating exhibits (text & images). If I view my internet source I see everything, for instance:

< p> mark westerburgen < br />
graphic designer< br />
Heuvelring 134-05< br />
5038 CL Tilburg< br />
The Netherlands< br />
t +31(0)6 132 86 332< br />
e mark.westerburgen@gmail.com< /p>

But this - along with other info - doesn't show on my index.php. Perhaps because i switched to Sample somewhere in the middle of my process? What do you think? Perhaps i can copy/paste the source info into my index.php?

if you want some sleep i damn well agree with you and you should go ahead and do so... =)

mark

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 20:16:37   

Hahaha. Aw, c'mon, were all learning, I'm no different!

Internet Explorer
This browser can sometimes be stubborn. Try clearing it's cache and refreshing, it works for me!

Folders/Hierarchies/etc
Even though your themes index.php file is located at '/ndxz-studio/site/sample/index.php', it is "delivered" to your browser as the root / of your site (e.g. http://www.extrafunk.com/). So, your browser would be trying to fetch the icon 3 folders down from root "/" (which for the record, it couldn't, because these folders aren't public and are outside of your hosting space.

Kind of like the following...

Where you expected it to go in bold: -
/ndxz-studio/site/sample/

Where it would attempt to go if the browser had access: -
/home/web_users/e/extrafunk/ndxz-studio/site/sample/

Probably a really bad explanation/analogy, but if you can view FTP folder 'above' where your web space is, you should see something similar to the last explanation (hmmm, probably a really bad example...).

Markup
I use the following: -

1. <link rel='shortcut icon' href='favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon' />

...because my markup is XHTML Strict and 'image/x-icon' is the proper/'official' .ico MIME type for favicons (Windows Icon Format). See here and here for a little more information.

Always glad to help (my way of giving back to the Indexhibit community until I can make donations).

Peace!

LeslieOA / 2008-08-05 20:25:52   

Just seen your last post...

I'm guessing your right in assuming that you lost those details in transition. If you had your address info under your menu, try adding your markup to your Post Nav Text in your Settings if you don't want to screw around with .php files and such. This is the same method as blameme suggested earlier in this thread.

...oh, and it's only 21:24 here in London, nowhere near tired (yet), LOL.

Peace.

extrafunk / 2008-08-05 20:37:13   

Okay, i gotta read your last post a couple more times...i've downloaded about 35% so far, at a speed of +/- 120 IQ a lifetime. Lol.

I think it's great that you help others within this community. I hope i can do my part in the near (..or distant) future. And you are right, you do learn a lot by explain things yourself.

okay, i'm gearing up for some fresh new questions.. hihi

mark

Vaska A / 2008-08-06 01:37:04   

Hello...it's resolved?

Thanks again LOA

This thread has been closed, thank you.