Gallery upload error...

bigjust / 2008-08-07 09:48:40   

Indexhibit...love it! Haven't logged in for a bit but the end of term is coming around so I'm updating my site. When I try to upload images to the gallery however I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagecreatefromjpeg() in /nfsstore/www_people/gier/public_html/ndxz-studio/lib/media.php on line 214

It's my first real problem, so I was just curious what might be happening. Hope I didn't just pull a noob move and dish out all my site info in that error info...

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Vaska A / 2008-08-07 15:23:27   

Usually this means your server either simply needs a reboot or it's GD library is very out of date. Tell your host...I bet they get on this fast. This error isn't caused by Indexhibit.

bigjust / 2008-08-08 16:55:37   

Thanks, Vaska! I'm talking to the network admin at school...hope they can help me work something out. Also thanks so much for the Indexhibit project...saw your post today about personal attacks/time/rewards etc. just made me also wish I new a little more code :) so I can contribute in that way. Indexhibit gets me under the hood a little more than I would otherwise though so maybe in the future or sharing style sheets/templates is probably more realistic. Thanks again...

Vaska A / 2008-08-08 17:32:35   

Thanks...I'm hanging in there. I do need to focus less on day to day things and more on the big picture. It's really hard doing both.

I'm pretty sure your school tech person will see the problem there quickly and take care of it.

;)

gib / 2008-08-08 17:34:27   

Details on PHP config and GD.

Are these adequate?

[root@bast /root]# php -v
PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Sep 28 2006 13:01:33)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
[root@bast /root]#

httpd.conf:LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so

gd

GD Support => enabled
GD Version => bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
GIF Read Support => enabled
GIF Create Support => enabled
PNG Support => enabled
WBMP Support => enabled
XBM Support => enabled

gib / 2008-08-08 17:35:08   

PS. I am one of the Art Center sysadmins.

...john

Vaska A / 2008-08-08 17:46:43   

Hi John...we don't see jpg there...should be there...gif and png are...

gib / 2008-08-08 17:51:40   

Okay, so you need jpg support ?

Vaska A / 2008-08-08 17:52:19   

Yes. It's default GD I believe.

gib / 2008-08-08 17:57:12   

Ours apparently was compiled with the bundled GD. I will look into a recompile with a std GD.

bigjust / 2008-08-08 18:45:32   

Thanks, John...hopefully that works out.

gib / 2008-08-08 21:35:16   

update:

Solaris 8, Added jpeg library from sunfreeware.com, compiled php with library.

Need to test with end user's program.

...john

*** DETAIL ***
--with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib

Used bundled GD
GD Support => enabled
GD Version => bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
GIF Read Support => enabled
GIF Create Support => enabled
JPG Support => enabled
PNG Support => enabled
WBMP Support => enabled
XBM Support => enabled

[root@bast local]# pkgadd -d jpeg-6b-sol8-sparc-local

The following packages are available:
1 SMCjpeg jpeg
(sparc) 6b

--with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib

bigjust / 2008-08-11 04:00:55   

It worked!!!! Thanks.

teenvomit / 2008-11-09 11:54:24   

I just started my Indexhibit today and this is my first time uploading pics. I got this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8536 bytes) in /mounted-storage/home111a/sub009/sc65188-YXGE/www/indexhibitv070e/ndxz-studio/lib/media.php on line 214

I don't get where I am uploading my images. Do I upload them with Indexhibit or do I upload them to my FTP account?

Vaska A / 2008-11-09 13:53:08   

Upload with Indexhibit. I bet your images are too big. While your host might report 10mb files are ok to upload it does not mean that it will necessarily work. I recommend that people keep their images much small...150kb is usually appropriate for any images you'll need on your site.

But play around with smaller sizes...see how high you can go. Ignore what the system reports...it's just not always what's possible (server limitation - not an Indexhibit limitation).

Eloisa A / 2008-11-09 15:09:25   

Two other things to take into account:

- make sure that the names of your files contain only basic latin letters and numbers (no spaces!)

- make sure the file extension is not set in capital letters (photo.jpg is good, photo.JPG isn't).

These vary from server to server, but following the above rules makes you safe.

teenvomit / 2008-11-10 00:29:28   

kind of weird because I thought I had 510 GB of webspace. I'm using Servage as recommended by this site.

I'll try what Vaska and Eloisa said.

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-11-10 03:12:28   

The "too big" comment doesn't mean that you use too much space on your server, but that one file is too big and causes a timeout while being uploaded via http (it takes to much time for the request to complete).

You see, http is not a protocol meant/designed to be effective for file transfer (ftp was designed to be the file transfer protocol of choice). If you upload a file, it needs to be all transfered within the time frame allowed for one request (this is variable from server to server). That is often why http file transfer are capped by the host.

This would explain why a file might not be completely uploaded and not be added to indexhibit. If a timeout occurs, the server discards the data.

teenvomit / 2008-11-10 09:37:36   

Ok, so my pic is now 510 kb and I still get that message and I followed all your directions in your first reply. I still don't get it.

teenvomit / 2008-11-10 10:17:45   

Don't worry. I figured something myself. I wasn't using the filemanager to upload files (which has worked successfully for me), instead I was using the upload images at the bottom (which didn't seem to work for me).

Vaska A / 2008-11-10 10:29:05   

510kb is still too big for alot of servers...make it smaller. As I said previously...150kb.

wolfsuit / 2008-11-25 01:37:33   

hello.

today i finally got indexexhibit to work, my host is x10hosting.com, if you know it. i am using cyberduck as my ftp..

now, i am trying to upload images to exhibits, i have tried file manager and the standard uploading tool below the text box... whenever i try to upload something, it just gives me this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mdade.x10hosting.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

now ...

a) Do I need to upload my images via FTP to a folder, eg. 'images' first, and then upload in indexexhibit?

b) i just use indexexhibit ONLY (file manager, etc..), and never upload anything to the host file manager?

c) can you tell me the best/simplest explanation for image uploading?

Thanks

This thread has been closed, thank you.