New Indexhibit demo

7 / 2012-05-03 10:07:29   

The tagging system will be bloody useful actually. That randmly occurred to me just now whilst I'm working!

Vaska A / 2012-05-03 10:22:02   

Yeah. It will be great when people start writing new interfaces (like the index) with it. I can't wait to see somebody base their entire site on color.

In the meantime, there will be some odd quirks to work out of that system.

;)

adega / 2012-05-03 10:33:12   

Vaska i need these beta files...i'm about to kill myself!!

p.d.: i think you are putting some secret ingredient on Indexhibit, this addiction isn't normal :D

Vaska A / 2012-05-03 10:43:00   

Send me an email...I'm sending out just a few tomorrow so people can start playing (help us see some more bugs) and populating the temp forum for the new version. Happy to include you...

;)

Vaska A / 2012-05-03 10:49:37   

23 things

ogabriel / 2012-05-03 11:20:26   

23 things

Há... that's what I was talking about!!!!
much clarified!!!
thanx Vaska
luis_diaz / 2012-05-03 14:28:55   

Congratulations!! The new version looks great. I´m looking forward to start using it. Thanks a lot!!

adega / 2012-05-03 14:30:16   

These are many good ingredients!!

Mail sent ;)

plocploc / 2012-05-03 14:37:53   

Very good work, congratulations.

Will you explain to dummies how and when make the upgrade ?

Vaska A / 2012-05-03 15:21:52   

That's the hold up - we didn't have anything on Monday. Next week, we'll be in a much better place.

Netsvetaev / 2012-05-04 00:58:21   

Hi. Vaska, I had seen the demo and it's veeery good. So much better, than old Index.

But new version has functions we can't understand without hints. Like green circles, which appears after click on dots nearby sections titles. What's that?

Can you add some hints to the interface or make a illustrated documentation?

pernin / 2012-05-04 01:15:37   

It's a demo, play with it, see what it does :)

We are working on documentation, tutorials, website, etc.

Netsvetaev / 2012-05-04 06:58:10   

Yeah, I already did it and can't wait for release ;-)
Thanks for your work.

IgraQ / 2012-05-04 16:19:52   

I created one indexhibit site and then returned to ... don't kill me... wordpress... again... More than one year later - after putting together plugins and themes and tweaking and waiting for these over-sized juggernauts to load... it is so nice to return back. You made really big progress, and for me there are just few small but important features - easier file manager and mp3 player. So nice and easy!

comtour / 2012-05-04 16:56:10   

Hello Vaska,
The demo is great, I'm so excited about it. When do you plan to release full version and what will be a fee for private use?
Do you plan any solution for multilanguage?
Many thanks for your effort.
Best regards,

Vaska A / 2012-05-04 17:46:13   

@IgraQ: new Indexhibit has a built-in mp3 player that is very subtle, nice and customizable purely by CSS. We will continue working on it to get it right and have all the options people want/need. File manager? Indexhibit, right now, doesn't really have one - nor is it necessary for the way things work. Feel free to tell me (even via email) what you think the file manager should do for you - I'm listening).

@comtour: 25 euros for individuals - one time fee per version (I think version 3 will be a very long ways away). Multilanguage is very complicated. It's something we will think about - it's not a priority right now but with the plugin system it can happen.

;)

plocploc / 2012-05-06 06:44:03   

Hello

Again very good job.
But i don't understand why can't we show video without youtube or vimeo process ?
Isn't that possible to upload a video file (in a mp4 format for exemple) just by our own ?

Thanks

salvatoresantoro / 2012-05-06 07:52:20   

wow! great! amazing!

Vaska A / 2012-05-06 08:59:41   

But i don't understand why can't we show video without youtube or vimeo process ?
Isn't that possible to upload a video file (in a mp4 format for exemple) just by our own ?

You can - just upload an mp4 or mov.

Netsvetaev / 2012-05-06 17:57:12   

How about many different exhibition formats (or same format, like many slideshows) on one page? Is it real on 2.0?

Vaska A / 2012-05-06 21:43:32   

That's for developers to decide...

katarina / 2012-05-07 18:47:22   

Hi guys, I was just wondering do you have a date when you will be releasing this new version?! I mean, I don't want to put any pressure, but it's so great that I just can't wait.

katarina / 2012-05-07 18:47:34   

Hi guys, I was just wondering do you have a date when you will be releasing this new version?! I mean, I don't want to put any pressure, but it's so great that I just can't wait.

katarina / 2012-05-07 18:48:11   

katarina / 2012-05-07 18:51:19   

Ooops, I'm sorry about that. it was giving me "sorry the page doesn't exist'

nklsrlwn / 2012-05-08 01:37:55   

this week

sophierphoto / 2012-05-08 02:22:09   

awesome stuff! question though, are you taking away "no thumbs no captions" right now i have made all my photos on my site customized to this theme. i did not see a format on the new site that has the same type of style, where photos can be so close to each other and have it be so simple - the closest was documenta, i think, but the spaces between the photos were so large.

is there something like no thumbs no captions? will i loose this with the upgrade?

thanks so much,
sophie
www.sophierphoto.com

G470 / 2012-05-08 02:45:05   

I just head a look at your style. It will be easy to rework this ;) and the old version will still be supported so don´t worry.

xavierfontanet / 2012-05-08 03:45:53   

Congratulations! IT looks great!

And... how can we change the old version for the new one?

Maybe we should wait for your instructions?jeje

thanxxxx!!!! amazing!!

xavierfontanet / 2012-05-08 03:49:00   

I have found it!! sorry!!

Vaska A / 2012-05-08 06:33:19   

It will take a little time (weeks) but we will update all the primary formats quickly.

davix / 2012-05-08 09:22:54   

File upload does not work on my FF 12.0
I can Add files, but not Upload them.

mac OS 10.5.8
works just fine with Safari 5.0.2

Demo looks great!
Let me know if I can help... proofreading-german / betatesting...

THANKS!

Vaska A / 2012-05-08 09:32:26   

Firefox is already on version 12? What the...

davix / 2012-05-08 09:40:38   

yeah... ah h ah..

ivaniannoli / 2012-05-08 12:54:23   

any word on the iphone/mobile thing?

will the new ndxz be viewable on iphones at all?

Vaska A / 2012-05-08 13:18:15   

In the future...bigger priorities right now.

And 'at all' is not the phrase you meant to use because it already will work to a small extent via an iPhone but it's a silly thing.

Of course, people are now going to tell me what a lousy job we're doing because a somewhat complicated system wasn't written specifically for iPhones...oh well...

Let us build a real app for that.

7 / 2012-05-08 15:30:48   

Isn't the future bringing us html 5 that makes this cross device problem go away? I'm out of my depth here, but that's just what I saw on BBC News this morning!

Vaska A / 2012-05-08 15:46:49   

HTML5 allows us to make these things work really well in an iPhone, but, you do realize that an HTML5 app is not allowed to access the tools to do something like upload an image...

Or, sorting images and exhibits...

We really want to make an official Indexhibit app - we'll get started on this quite soon. We'll be doing alot regarding mobile this year.

;)

yves / 2012-05-09 05:06:42   

No spam to this forum, thank you.

Edited by Vaska

Luke357 / 2012-05-09 07:43:00   

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I've been playing with the demo and wondering... is there a way that I can use the keyboard cursor keys to advance the permalink galleries, a la overlay?

Vaska A / 2012-05-09 08:14:33   

Not today - but likely in the future - it's an easy addition - anybody could implement that.

yves / 2012-05-09 13:43:13   

@Vaska - excuse me but I provided a link with a theme that might be useful to the audience of Indexhibit - far from spamming imho. This theme code is provided for free by someone and I wasn't advertising that person's services. That a person who did something available for the community also provide with commercial services has nothing to do with my providing a link to a free downloadable theme developped by said person. A lot of people want to contribute to open source projects while also providing commercial services on the side, including yourself, nothing wrong with that.
Btw, I am not affiliated to that site and again did not recommend any commercial service over there. Just wanted to share something useful: a mobile theme designed for Indexhibit - including perhaps to you and the people helping with code over there. Now if that is spamming, we have a differing definition. And for the record, I loathe spam as much as I appreciate your work, which is a lot.

Vaska A / 2012-05-09 14:28:40   

That person was warned before they were banned. And they have continued to not only spam our forum but have gone so low as to troll people off the forum advertising their business (and complaining about what they did). Providing a format does not excuse their behavior - they are a commercial enterprise who never did anything to help Indexhibit.org until they were banned (and then it was rather ridiculous in our opinion so we refused it).

This forum, from day one, has always had a strict policy against spam (especially for-profit interests).

We absolutely do not condone, endorse or have any affiliation with them and we wish that they would stop using our crediblity and hard work for their own personal profit.

We are seriously considering changing the license because of them and a few others. Their advertising claims are also a lie - not true.

Believe it or not, there are people who think the goodness of people doing open source is free for the taking and that there are no ethics whatsoever - we, and a hell of alot of other people, disagree. They've had years (if you know the backstory) to step up and they never did.

Yves, I understand your position, but surely you can understand ours. Plus, that format will be useless once new Indexhibit is released - and this is not the thread for it at all, I don't know why you posted it here.

Why don't you ask them what their policy is towards making Indexhibit a successful project? Ask them how they have used their income (I should note that they have told me that they are living the dream because of Indexhibit) to financially support Indexhibit (before only a month ago)? Ask them how and when they contacted Indexhibit about using our reputation for their own marketing purposes (I'll answer this, never)?

I have a feeling you haven't read this.

yves / 2012-05-09 15:00:28   

Thanks for the backstory; indeed, making a profit out of your countless hours of devotion and hard work without contributing anything back does not look so nice - and I definitely understand then. Let's leave it at that and look forward a mobile app - it's definitely something that many designers, photographers, illustrators & artists would be glad to have with their Indexhibit sites - thinking of iPad portfolio reviews for instance, and generally the increasing number of devices use... hence I thought this might be on topic & useful.

Back on topic of Indexhibit Two - a paying scheme is definitely a good idea.

Thanks.

Vaska A / 2012-05-09 15:05:16   

Yes, exactly.

The first thing after the dust settles...is mobile for Indexhibit. The iPhone app will take some time but we will start dealing with mobile (although most of it works ok, right now) very quickly. "Repsonsive" if you need a buzzword.

It's not the same project anymore - we're going to go alot faster for you guys. But, you'll have to see it happen, first. We're up for that...

;)

NKBV / 2012-05-10 02:07:06   

@ Vaska:
What is the function of "counter" in the exhibit options?
Thanks!

pernin / 2012-05-10 02:59:14   

it appears there for column-ordered exhibition formats, for example Documenta. Defines into how many columns the exhibition should be divided

NKBV / 2012-05-10 04:01:26   

Super! Tack pernin!

Vaska A / 2012-05-10 07:27:58   

The purpose is dependent on the format. For instance, with Visual Index you can tell it how many thumbnails to count before it returns to the next line. Documenta, as Alfredo mentions, does a similar thing. Some formats don't need the counter so it will not appear in those contexts.

NKBV / 2012-05-10 07:34:34   

OK, thanks Vaska.

This thread has been closed, thank you.