sildeshow & height of container

Doctor_Osimo / 2008-08-21 22:22:40   

hi everybody,

i’m using the slideshow plugin for some exhibits. jquery writes some divs (img-container, s1, and the ones for each image) and gives them inline-styles (positon: absolute/relative, z-index).

how the hell do i get those divs to push the height of the div (container) around? i’ve been trying and trying to find the trick… but… hell, nothing really delighting my day ;-)

here’s the site

has anyone a solution for my problem?

thankful for feedback

osimo

Vaska A / 2008-08-21 22:31:16   

.container or just the container around the images? i don't quite understand the question...

i'm just now heading off to sleep...back tomorrow.

Doctor_Osimo / 2008-08-21 23:08:42   
  1. < div class="container">

should get higher because of images in

1. < div id="img-container">
  2. < div id="s1">

so you could see below

1. < div id="foot">

image example

good night
osimo

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-08-22 02:53:43   

I've had a look at your page and it seems that if you can remove/change the absolute positioning of the second div, your div will wrap around your picture (it's the absolute positioning of the picture that removes it from the page rendering flow, which makes it impossible for the div to wrap around it)

If you change this:

1. <div style="z-index: 1; display: block; opacity: 1; position: absolute;">

To:

1. <div style="z-index: 1; display: block; opacity: 1; position: relative;">

It should work ok (It did with a live edit in firefox 2 using firebug)

You might need to edit the plugin/javascript for it to output relative instead of absolute. (Maybe Vaska can give better insights on that than me)

You can adjust you bottom padding after that from 230 to 30 or something.

hope that helps.

Vaska A / 2008-08-22 11:27:00   

I really don't like how Slideshow works because of all the z-index stuff. This version will soon be retired so I don't really have much to say about it...

The real problem is that it loads all the images at the same time. It would be better to load the first image and then preload all the following images in the background. And then, not use z-index but basically display one image at a time. The basics are very easy to reproduce...the effects are what cause this to be so complicate to deal with.

Cycle is an awesome plugin, but we're carrying around a mini framework for alot of options (we don't even need)...and we shouldn't.

Doctor_Osimo / 2008-08-22 12:24:41   

@ Antoine: Thx for your solution. Tried this myself, and it really works for the first pic. But if you click to the next one, you'll see the pic fading below the first one (relative positioning) and then jumping to top.

@ Vaska: Do you mean don't use slideshow – effects are causing trouble? No prob ;-) Perhaps I could turn the effects off… But they are so good looking and I’ d like to use‘em…

Is there another solution for displaying the images one after another with a fading effect?

oliver / 2008-08-22 14:58:06   

well i have an unfinished plugin flying around - but that slides only in auto mode. it's based on the innerfade-plugin.

- no prev/next
- no title/caption

Doctor_Osimo / 2008-08-26 12:33:15   

Thx Oliver! Nice thing though no prev/next and no title/caption…
Perhaps I'm going to use it in an other context.

This thread has been closed, thank you.