xx There was a problem

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-07 18:35:04   

Hi there,

I've been using Indexhibit for a while but am finding this new version tricky to install. I had a tough time upgrading so I decided to back up my site and start from scratch, which is fine with me as my site is quite small at the moment with relatively few customizations.

My problem: when I come down to entering my database info it tells me "XX There was a problem". Im sure my info is 100% correct, so i looked through the forums for advice - another thread mentioned having a similar problem and had resolved it by erasing all pre-existing files from both the server and the SQL database. But I've already done this, I'm sure! In fact, I deleted the old database on the hosting site and created a new one specifically for this install and yet I can't get any further.

I know that I'm probably just being supremely stupid and missing something obvious, but I really have tried to sort this out. Can anyone help?

Many thanks : )

pernin / 2012-06-07 19:16:40   

recheck that your database is empty, or change the database append field during installation to something else (ndxz2_ or something different than the default)

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-07 19:48:24   

Heya, thanks for your speedy response!

The thing is, I've tried to get around the fact that the database may not have been empty by just deleting that SQL database and creating a brand new one. I did this a few times and to still no joy. I've also tried multiple variations of the append field, and still, to no luck.

Even odder is this: when I get enter 'yourdomain.com/ndxzstudio/…' again to try from the beginning - once having tried entering my database info with no luck - rather than that URL taking me to the first step, 'choose a language' page it simply says 'you are already installed'. And then, the only way to get out of this dead end is to delete all indexhibit installation files from the server and start again.

Sorry to be a pain, But I'm completely stuck!

Thanks again

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-07 19:48:26   

Heya, thanks for your speedy response!

The thing is, I've tried to get around the fact that the database may not have been empty by just deleting that SQL database and creating a brand new one. I did this a few times and to still no joy. I've also tried multiple variations of the append field, and still, to no luck.

Even odder is this: when I get enter 'yourdomain.com/ndxzstudio/…' again to try from the beginning - once having tried entering my database info with no luck - rather than that URL taking me to the first step, 'choose a language' page it simply says 'you are already installed'. And then, the only way to get out of this dead end is to delete all indexhibit installation files from the server and start again.

Sorry to be a pain, But I'm completely stuck!

Thanks again

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-07 20:04:36   

Just to keep you updated,

I've got around the 'you are already installed' issue by deleting the config.php file from the config folder. Although why has one been made when I my database information was supposedly incorrect?!

pernin / 2012-06-08 07:17:44   

I guess it depends on the kind of error generated, but mind you, I'm just guessing... let us know how it goes ;)

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-11 19:55:00   

Hey there again.

The requested update goes along these lines: I'm still stuck in exactly the way I was before!

I'm really racking my brains here!

I'm going to systematically list the actions I took in my latest attempt (about 10 minutes ago) in the hope it helps solving this issue!

I deleted ALL files from my server - so that I'm left with a clean slate.

I uploaded all the Indexhibit files to my site and started the installation process on my web browser.

I chose a language, get all the green lights and then enter database info - leaving server address as 'local host' - and i get 'xx check config'.

I change server address to the address stated by my web host and I get 'xx there was a problem'.

The database information belongs to a completely new database I have just created. No other database exists apart from this one.

What is wrong?

Please help, I'm starting to lose my marbles. I've completely lost my site in this process and I need it back. I've used Indexhibit for years and have never been so stumped as this time round. This is not to suggest the problem is with the download, more just that I'm not (totally) an ignorant rookie. I should be able to do this!

Many Thanks

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-11 20:11:41   

If it helps: jamesthurgood.com

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-11 22:31:52   

(Vaska - I have read the forum guidelines, I thought that the content of my second question differed enough to validate it as a new thread, obviously not! Sorry to be a pain, I'm just in desperate need of assistance here - as mentioned I've lost my site and have no clue how to get it back, even after scouring the forum and internet at large.)

I'm still not getting past the second page of the install, but regardless, when I head to jamesthurgood.com/… I can access the log in page - seems strange as I haven't completed the install and therefore have no log in details. And 'index1/exhibit' gives me no luck. If i keep trying I get the exceeded limits page yet I don't receive an email when I fill in my address - no big surprise yet again, as I can't get past page 2 of the installation.

This annoyance is multiplied by the fact that every time I try to enter database info on page 2 of the install and get nowhere, a 'config.php' file is still created in the /ndxzsite/config/ folder that I access with my ftp client.

So its like there's a glitch in the installation file itself that somehow successfully creates a config.php file yet won't let me finish the final step of the installation where I'm guessing you create log in details. So when I go to jamesthurgood.com/ndxzstudio/… to try again it tells me that I'm already installed (makes sense because a config.php has been created, right? Yet also no sense whatsoever because I haven't completed the installation) and yet when I go to /ndxzstudio/ I can't log in.

I'm on an annoying cycle of continuously deleting the newly made config.pho files and trying again (so that I can try the installation from scratch without being told that I'm already installed) but the same thing keeps happening.

I'm sure I'm not being stupid about this, there seems to be a technical that I'm unaware of.

Please please help me out here, Im actually pulling my hair out.

Many thanks

jonathanproberts / 2012-06-12 19:21:50   

Hello,

I'm getting exactly the same problem 'jamesthurgood'
Exactly the same error messages and the adding of the 'config.php'
I then have to delete the file to reassume the installation process but then tells me 'XX There was a problem'.

Jonathan

Vaska A / 2012-06-12 19:30:01   

@james - I have noted around here in many places that I'm working on a new installer - there are some problems on some setups.

Send me an email - I'd like to take a look.

contact [at] indexhibit [dot] org

jonathanproberts / 2012-06-12 19:33:33   

@Vaska- What should do? Can I email you as well? If so what do I need to send you?

Thanks

Jonathan

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-12 21:02:05   

@Vaska - Many thanks for the reply!

I've sent you an email with all the information I think is relevant...

Cheers

Vaska A / 2012-06-12 22:32:16   

@jonathan - no way!

of course, send me a note, i'll get to it tomorrow though.

;)

jonathanproberts / 2012-06-17 01:48:34   

@Vaska
Just to let you know i've sent you can email with my detail etc.

Thanks for your help.

jonathanproberts / 2012-06-17 14:02:08   

@Vaska

I've just erased everything from my server, created a new database, re-download indexhibit. I then have to change htaccess to .htaccess then it gives me the green light. Type in database details and still xx there was a problem.

I'm pulling my hair out! I just don't know what the problem is.

jonathanproberts / 2012-06-17 14:16:25   

@Vaksa

Could this be a reason, I've been reading other problems, and after i've uploaded the
files I don't have to change any permissions they are already 777 could this be a reason?

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-18 15:15:37   

@Vaska

It's been a while since I've heard any feedback about his situation. What's happening your end?

An update would be much appreciated

Cheers

Vaska A / 2012-06-18 15:30:57   

James, want to chat? I'll work on it at the same time...report back here with results.

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-20 16:44:37   

@Vaska.

I'm extremely happy to report that I'm now up and running.

I gave the new install.php file a whirl (found here: indexhibit.org/forum/thread/15689/), and now I'm up and running fine. I didn't change any of my info and it worked out perfectly!

I hope this is of help to you, @jonathan, also!

Many thanks Vaska!

Vaska A / 2012-06-20 17:12:03   

That's great news. I'm sorry it took some time...

It's been really difficult for me to help people with installations because most of the time I don't have the correct logins for things and I'm spending alot of time turning my wheels but not going anywhere. This is the first confirmation that the new installer works.

I got Jonathan installed the other day. I think. I've helped so many people lately I don't know anymore...

;)

Swoz / 2012-06-20 18:03:14   

Hi, I seem to be having the same problems as jamesthurgood.

I'd like to try the new install.php file.
Not wanting to sound completely incompetent... but what do you do with the link?

It takes me to a 'go live' app and then I'm at a loss.

I have built a site before with indexhibit, so not a complete novice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Swoz

jamesthurgood / 2012-06-20 19:01:56   

@Vaska,

For whatever the sentiment is worth: I'd rather support Indexhibit, even if startup issues occur, than go elsewhere. And the new installer works for sure; like i mentioned, I changed nothing in comparison to my previous attempts, apart from the new install file, of course.

@Swoz,

Not sure how helpful this is, but if using Chrome it just downloads the file automatically.

Swoz / 2012-06-21 17:01:06   

Thanks @jamesthurgood.

Installed OK, but now can't log in, even with default details.

Think I could have a database issue.

Vaska A / 2012-06-21 17:06:08   

Were you using the new install.php file? It's around here...

Swoz / 2012-06-21 18:02:00   

I created a new database and deleted original installation and started from scratch with the new install.php file

And yes it worked!

I noticed with this file that the 'database append' was slightly different???

But I'm up and running so thanks for help, and thanks for a great website application.

Swoz

oza / 2012-09-09 10:49:28   

I have the same problem - I get the 'XX There was a problem' error... I followed the steps, deleted and created the database again... not sure what else to do?

Oza

Vaska A / 2012-09-09 11:35:06   

Confirm your connection info with your host.

Felix_Mooneeram / 2013-03-19 19:34:34   

Where is this new install.php file?

arsondpi / 2013-03-19 20:46:11   

It's in the ndxzstudio folder.

Felix_Mooneeram / 2013-03-20 14:02:49   

@Vaska can you help me too maybe?

Felix_Mooneeram / 2013-03-20 14:37:40   

@arsondpi – this is the file i'm using (the one that came with the Indexhibit zip that I downloaded just yesterday. On here James talked about a new install.php file and posted a link to it (but the page no longer exists). Could someone send me this new install.php file? Or is it the one I'm already using from what I downloaded yesterday?

arsondpi / 2013-03-20 15:50:24   

If you (re)downloaded indexhibit yesterday it should be the one you already have. Vaska's post is rather old and refers to an older version of version 2.

Felix_Mooneeram / 2013-03-20 15:52:54   

I'm through! Just had to change the permissions on the database user

This thread has been closed, thank you.