what's your retina solution for indexhibit ?

pask / 2012-09-29 15:33:57   

Hi there,
it's all in title, i'm doing my new pro photo portfolio and looking to adapt it to the iPad/macbookpro retina resolution. It's critical for me as lot of my customer are now using mostly their iPad retina to show my pictures.
someone previously found a turnaround but it's only working for the indexhibit I as far as i know. (indexhibit.org/forum/thread/15024/)
after looking around, the solution might be with .js (retinajs.com). It looks not that hard to integrate (i'm not an js expert at all), so any experience from others would be really appreciated…
thanks for reading

jonathangrevsen / 2012-09-29 18:09:25   

This looks really straight forward. I will try this out soon and let the forum know. Thanks, Jonathan

pask / 2012-10-01 10:33:32   

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your message, i'm not completely alone so ;-)
i'm surprised there is no more comments about this retina question…I know people who don't use theses Idevice just don't care, but once you're in, it's something you cannot ignore, at least for professional purpose.

So i took 15min this morning to edit the css for :

.format-horizontal img{ height: 500px; width: auto; } while my uploaded pictures are 1000px height…it's work but the issue is now the white space between pictures, and cannot fix that 'caus pictures's width are different so container width must stay 'auto'…
Not sure about hacking the height's css is the way to go…i'd like to get feedback from more advanced users...

Vaska A / 2012-10-01 11:43:51   

I don't have a retina device myself - I'm saving up money for that - it's expensive.

It's also very new.

Right now, we have some other things to focus on but we will have our own strategy for dealing with retina soon enough.

pask / 2012-10-01 12:06:19   

tks for the reply Jeff,
What can i do to put the retina question on top of your to do list ? (choose between French wine & a free stay at my apartment in south France :o))

pask / 2012-10-26 10:10:34   

Hi there
For any curious, here is very easy way to make indexhibit retina compatible in 2 min.
the script will first load the normal page, and then switch to the '@2x' (following apple rules).

place before in index.php & media.php, upload the .js to js folder and your done (assuming that you have already uploaded all your '@2x'.jpg in gimgs folder :p

retinajs.com

A+

pask / 2012-10-26 10:13:41   

sorry for the cropped message, anyway, all infos are in the link and very easy to setup, hope this help

Vaska A / 2012-10-26 10:36:17   

That's likely the same way we'll do things - but we'll add an additional method for uploading the x2 images (to make it easier). If Pask's note is not clear, you can use this library but you will need to upload your x2 images via FTP directly for now.

Thanks for posting that...if I can find a moment maybe I'll make a quick plugin out of just that part (not the uploader because that will take some extra time).

pask / 2012-10-26 10:45:35   

the additional uploader method in once will be very nice Vaska, yes ! But because retina is still confidential (but needed for I-people ;) i can understand it's not on top of your to do list
A+

pask / 2012-10-26 11:33:53   

ok, to complete the discussion
this script don't work with both 'overlay' and 'grow' method.
For 'slideshow' plugin, the script work only the first time the jpg appear, not any more in case of return to it…my 2 euros

pepe / 2013-04-12 11:27:29   

Hi there,

I'm trying to apply the retina.js in my site but it's not works.

I've uploaded the renamed hig res images with '@2x'append to the gimgs folder, and I've uploaded the retina.js in to the /ndxzsite/js folder (the instructions of retinajs.com/ says: '' but I assume that the right place is 'js' folder, and I've edited the index.php & media.php with: ''

I am working in a subfolder with the new CMS 2 for respect my older site with Legacy version until I finish the installation and customization. I've created a second DB for the new site.

I think I've a sintax error in the path of files. I've tried:

-, doesn't work

-, doesn't work

-, where 'cms2' is the folder I've installed the CMS 2, doesn't work

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pepe / 2013-04-12 11:28:40   

Sorry, the lines of code doesn't appear

pepe / 2013-04-12 11:30:32   

Hi there,

I've uploaded the renamed hig res images with '@2x'append to the gimgs folder, and I've uploaded the retina.js in to the /ndxzsite/js folder (the instructions of retinajs.com/ says: "" but I assume that the right place is 'js' folder, and I've edited the index.php & media.php with: ""

I am working in a subfolder with the new CMS 2 for respect my older site with Legacy version until I finish the installation and customization. I've created a second DB for the new site.

-"", doesn't work

-"", doesn't work

-"", where 'cms2' is the folder I've installed the CMS 2, doesn't work

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pepe / 2013-04-12 11:34:16   

Another try:

Hi there,

1. I've uploaded the renamed hig res images with '@2x'append to the gimgs folder, and I've uploaded the retina.js in to the /ndxzsite/js folder (the instructions of retinajs.com/ says: <code ><script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/retina.js"></script> but I assume that the right place is 'js' folder, and I've edited the index.php & media.php with: <code ><script type="text/javascript" src="/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></…;

1. -<code ><script type="text/javascript" src="/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></script>, doesn't work
  1. -<code ><script type="text/javascript" src="/js/retina.js"></script>, doesn't work
  1. -<code ><script type="text/javascript" src="/cms2/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></script>, where 'cms2' is the folder I've installed the CMS 2, doesn't work

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pepe / 2013-04-12 11:39:50   

The last try, I think the idea now is clear, sorry:

Hi there,

1. I've uploaded the renamed hig res images with '@2x'append to the gimgs folder, and I've uploaded the retina.js in to the /ndxzsite/js folder (the instructions of retinajs.com/ says: <script type="text/javascript" src="/scripts/retina.js"></script> but I assume that the right place is 'js' folder, and I've edited the index.php & media.php with: <script type="text/javascript" src="/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></…;

1. -<script type="text/javascript" src="/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></script>, doesn't work
  1. -<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/retina.js"></script>, doesn't work
  1. -<script type="text/javascript" src="/cms2/ndxzsite/js/retina.js"></script>, where 'cms2' is the folder I've installed the CMS 2, doesn't work

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pepe / 2013-04-12 18:55:20   

Well, I've resolved the "problem". The path was mysite/cms2/ndxzsite/js/retina.js and there was another issue with the name of the images because it's needed to rename with the sufix @2x the high res images, but the new name should be based in the indexhibit's name assigned like 6_name.jpg in the gimgs folder at server and I was adding the sufix to the images in my computer and uploading via FTP after.

1957Goldtop / 2013-07-09 15:44:48   

Any updates on an official retina implementation in Indexhibit?

1957Goldtop / 2013-07-18 21:46:43   

No official retina support coming?

1957Goldtop / 2013-07-26 12:27:22   

I guess retina is just a fad?

1957Goldtop / 2013-08-02 13:15:18   

A year ago:
"Right now, we have some other things to focus on but we will have our own strategy for dealing with retina soon enough."

Today: Any update on those strategies?

Vaska A / 2013-08-02 17:18:12   

People have posted solutions around here - retina.js probably being the most common one so far.

I don't see a significant amount of traffic for retina machines yet.

I'm closing this thread because it's becoming messy and not useful (people aren't seeing the information posted throughout).

This thread has been closed, thank you.