Moving indexhibit site to a new hosting package

mlarcin / 2013-01-25 22:49:34   

Hello,

I have an issue with my indexhibit web site. I recently got a deal from my hosting company 1&1 with an unlimited hosting package offer and I transferred my all files from my old package (beginner with limited capacity) to a new one. My hosting company tech support told me that I don't need to transfer the database folder and my web site should be able to up and running smooth after 24-48 hours. Which it did. Since it was working on my new hosting package, I cancelled my old beginner package after couple of days and when I checked my web site again now it is not working. It was giving me the error for not enough php memory. My 1&1 tech support told me that; "Please be informed that the error is due to reaching your php memory limit. Your package only allows you 60 MB of php memory."
After that they told me to create a database folder and rename and update the config.php file under ndxz-studio/config. Which I did recently and now I am getting this message; "Page not found error here."
They are telling me to update the index.php file now but I don't know what part of index.php file I have to edit or update in order to run my indexhibit web site up and running. Do I have to re create the web site all over again ? I can't even access to my indexhibit module where I can update and add photos, pictures, info etc. there. So I do not access to my web site material at all but I just have the image files folder and of course the main web site folder.
my web site address is: larcingraph.com

I'll appreciate for any help in this issue to solve my this big problem...
Thank you.

mlarcin / 2013-01-25 23:24:31   

I even tried to do a password reset and it did not work. When I copy the "reset.php" file under the ndxz-studio folder, I call it in on browser and the page shows me "Looks OK." message only and nothing else. I can not even get inside my indexhibit module to copy my info from my web site using this link;
larcingraph.com/ndxz-studio/…

When I write my user and password correctly like before, it says that
"Your password or login are incorrect. Try again." under the log in.

All my indexhibit files and folders are there inside the correct folder under my domain but I don't understand what is the main reason that, my web site is not showing up and I can't even be able to log in to my indexhibit module either ?

Please help.
Thank you.

Vaska A / 2013-01-25 23:42:42   

Oh my goodness, that's alot of reading. What is the problem/question in one sentence?

mlarcin / 2013-01-26 02:55:59   

Sorry about that, I wanted to write all the details...
My main problem is; I moved my indexhibit web site to my new unlimited hosting package from my old package couple weeks ago and it is not working now for some reason. I couldn't figured it out. And I also can not open/navigate my indexhibit panel (module) where I put photos, images etc. either, because it says that "Your password or login are incorrect. Try again."

What do I need to do in order to make my web site up and running-working again?
my web site is; larcingraph.com
hosting name; 1and1.com

thanks.

arsondpi / 2013-01-26 08:41:53   

Stop! - go back to your old server/host and back up your database. You need to import the database to the new server.
The database is where all the text, preferences and structure of the website and each webpage is stored!

To move from one server to another you should backup your indexhibit files and folders with your ftp application and your database with phpMyAdmin (a web based database manager application).
In your new server re-upload the indexhibit files and folders and import the database, again using phpMyAdmin.

mlarcin / 2013-01-26 09:14:54   

Thank you for the advice!!!!
But it is too late to go back to my old server/hosting package now because I already cancelled that. My web site was up and running inside my new unlimited hosting plan for a week that's why I cancelled my old plan but then my web site stopped working and started to give errors. Tech Support at 1and1 told me that database is not important to transfer to new hosting package ??? Well, they didn't know what they were doing!!!!!! I am pretty upset...
I knew, I needed to transfer the database to my new package too but didn't know how to do it and the tech support wasn't really helpful at 1and1 at all either! :(

Anyways it is too late to go back now, do I still have a chance to rescue my web site? I only have the indexhibit folders and files inside my ftp application now but no database file-folder, I just opened a new database in my new account, is that help ?

I already re-uploaded the indexhibit files and folders but since I cancelled my old server/host plan I don't have the database. What do I need to do if I don't have the database in order to work my web site properly now ?

arsondpi / 2013-01-26 09:39:47   

You can start from scratch (and I know that sounds pretty upsetting).
You have all your media in your new server at least...

Two things:
- before any changes backup your stuff - always!
- make use of this forum if you're uncertain of things. We're here to help so stuff like this is avoided.

mlarcin / 2013-01-26 09:48:54   

Yes I know, that's why I decided to ask my problem here which I knew it was too late but I still wanted to ask at least to make sure and you made it clear that it is already too late...So you are saying there is no way to access my data then..
I just needed to copy the information that I need from my old server/host, I can't even access to my module either so that's pretty bad too.

Ok here is my other NEW question then;
since I have to start from scratch again, I am planning to setup the indexhibit v2.0.
is it worth it to use the NEW version of indexhibit and all my index, css, etc.. files that I modified will work under v2.0 if I install into my larcingraph.com folder or is it better to install the older (v0.72) version? I am trying to avoid extra workload as much as possible so I don't have to work on it too much since I already had a web site and now I have to re-create everything from scratch again but at least I don't want to re-create the css, index, etc files that I already modified.

arsondpi / 2013-01-26 10:24:05   

If you start from scratch I suggest to install version 2 and not upgrade.
In both cases -upgrading or starting over with v2- means that you will need to update your style.css anyway*.
As for your formats/plugins I can tell you the version 2 has much more features than the old version and that it will take much less time than you'd expect.

* Depending on your css customizations you can take a look of the Indexhibit style plugin in the demo (on the left).
Otherwise -again- we're here to help...

mlarcin / 2013-01-27 07:24:16   

So, you are saying that I can not use the old style.css file from the previous (old) version of the indexhibit (v0.73) I was using then ? how much or what parts do I need to update on style.css file that I have ? and do I also need to update index.php file too ?
I saw the indexpand is a new and cool feature in v2 of indexhibit.

I also want to make sure that there is no way to access to my old info now, because everything was inside that database folder in my old server/host, correct ? and I don't have any other option than to re-create my web-site now if I am not wrong?

arsondpi / 2013-01-27 09:11:02   

It's mostly css selectors that need updating.
#menu is now #index and #content is now #exhibit.
But you should generally check things.
Indexpand is expanding menus but it's now controlled from the backend and has new features as well.

If you database is lost you don't have any access to your old text, titles, captions, layout preferences. So you'd need to recreate these.
On the other hand uploading and setting up layouts for each exhibit is much faster with V2. Overall I think you should focus on your text content and website layout.

mlarcin / 2013-01-28 05:50:08   

the style.css and index.php I already modified will work or do I need to make anything change on them ? I am sorry but I am not really a coder or know any css and html coding that much just basic but can't update anything over that's why I am asking.
Recreate the web site without any reference will be a hard torture indeed :(

But, I also another question here; I have an unlimited hosting package now, and I am planning to create more than 1 website under the same host/server and my hosting company allow me to do that without purchase any other hosting package.
So, can I install the new indexhibit v2.0 inside different website folder that I will create and it will work under same hosting ? or it will not ?

arsondpi / 2013-01-28 08:29:02   

yes you'll need to recreate your styes.css
yes you can install two indexhibit sites in the same server.
:-)

This thread has been closed, thank you.