style sheet explaination

zoltan / 2008-10-07 15:27:00   

ok. i played now a little bit in the style sheet. working with golive without any idea about it, it is very nice and very comfortable, you can see what are the variables.
but for me it is not clear what is menu in comparison with menu ul. or .container etc. and what is the difference between position and distance.
if i knew all those things, i would create explaination screenshot (s)...

Vaska A / 2008-10-07 18:50:55   

I recommend that you read a tutorial on CSS to get an idea what these things are. There are too many things to explain.

zoltan / 2008-10-08 07:21:09   

yes . i know. cheers.

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-10-08 08:13:53   

Maybe stating a few obvious things, but here we go:

You want to read about CSS2.

A complete reference of what properties are available to use can be found at www.w3schools.com. It is a bit "dry", but is a complete reference. They also offer some basic tutorials to get a hang of the basic syntax.

You also want to get a good understanding of what are selectors and how to use ids and classes to help you build them.

Eric Meyer's website also offers a lot of articles/techniques (often advanced... but it's never a bad idea to read and get some insights even if you can't graps the subtleties right away) http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/

Hope that helps.

zoltan / 2008-10-08 10:31:30   

very good. thanx a lot. i think i can get through it.
i did already by trial and error a lot of manipulations just to see what happens how and where. so far so good.

still a small question about the style sheet

i couldnt find out for what it is:

- what is "body.section" for?
- what is h1-h4?
- what is "once"

if the answer are not to complicated i'd appreciate an answer.

LeslieOA / 2008-10-08 15:49:22   

body.section
<body> tag with a .class called section: -

1. <body class='section'>

h1-h4
<h#> HTML/XHTML heading tags from h6 (lowest) to h1 (highest).

once?
:once? Pseudo-class? Check out the guides Antoine suggested.

Peace.

AntoineLafontaine / 2008-10-09 07:46:11   

Thanks Leslie ;)

This thread has been closed, thank you.