index.php or style.css?

free2hear / 2009-03-15 22:57:36   

I'm no css/html programmer or something close. Just a noob that has been trying for a week to build something decent just based on the sample and the files.
After a week or so of dealing with this i'm getting a little frustrated. It seems i hit the wall of my knowledge so if anybody could help i'd be much apreciated
1) on the main page, http://www.joaohenriques.com/, i installed the plugin that does the random backgroun (ndxz_rand_bg), everything is working fine but i can´figure which part (section) of the style.css or index.php do i have to modify in order that the images appear centered (or a bit far from the top and left) and not close to the left menu.

2) Altough i followed the instructions, i ca´nt understand how does the news plugin work, because i don´t know where to build the database. So for the moment i'll manage it directly in the settings )see the page at http://www.joaohenriques.com/index.php?/about-this-site/)

3) here's another one (http://www.joaohenriques.com/index.php?/projects/180/) in this page i can´find the section i have to change oin order for the photos are shown a few pixels from the top, they already appear so close to the top but i'd like them to be a bit more down the page

4) if you have any suggestions, please do so. this is a project done for someone o doesn´t know more than 2 or 3 lines of code

Thanks @ALL

free2hear / 2009-03-15 23:10:23   

5) i can i add just text on the main page without affecting all pages?

cruz / 2009-03-16 09:40:39   

1. You have to edit the plugin itself. There are two measures there 215, 0. 215 sets a zero position from left as the menu default is 215px wide. Zero is from top.

2. Database? Don't quite understand the question. You create a section called news and an exhibit called whatever and paste the simple_news code on the text window, save. You then create another exhibit with the news you want to publish on the same section and hide it from index in the additional settings. Repeat the step two for every new event.

3. Your #img-container in style.css

5. Yes.

free2hear / 2009-03-16 17:36:10   

Ol√° Cruz,

I already tried what you said and here are my remarks
#1) ok, it solved but you have to add the words "px" after 0(zero) if you want the plugin to behave correctly.

2) ok, done. i wasn´t understanding the principle but now i do

3) ok, semi-done. i managed to move the images a bit further down the page, but the rest of the page comes along too. the lines in style.css are
#img-container    { margin: 0px; padding: 30px; }
#img-container p    { width: 400px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 12px 0px; }
and the other values just move the text of the section, but i'd like to move just the images down. Perhaps it has something to do with the plugin itself

5) i was trying to ask how to put some text on the main page only, because if i do it on index.php it affects all pages and i just don't know how to affect only the main section. So if you just could help me on this one too..

Estou-te muito grato!

cruz / 2009-03-16 17:58:00   

3. Who did your website? You got a text div there, address it.
5. You have to edit the main exhibition, there's a big text window there.

cheers

free2hear / 2009-03-16 19:15:16   

3. I did (snitching here and there). You mean i have to take out the text div... it's done in the text window of the exibit section (not in style.css or index.php) and it's

"font style="font-size: 15px; color: #6b7681;">1 8 0 º BR hr width=400; color="#f3f3f3""
I've done one of these for each exibit section because i don´t know how to code it in style. perhaps that's why it behaves like that.

5. in exibihts!main, when going to settings, the only window i can see is pre-nav text and post-nav text and those affect the side bar, not the main text, so i'm stuck again.

free2hear / 2009-03-16 19:18:48   

5. I found it!

cruz / 2009-03-16 19:26:41   
  1. css:
  2. #whatever {
  3.  font-size: 15px;
  4.  color: #6b7681;
  5.  etc.;
  6. }
  1. html:
  2. <div id="whatever">your text</div> 

Your main page (whatever the name you called it) is an exhibit like any other on the website and it has a text window that you can edit.

free2hear / 2009-03-16 19:40:12   

Ok, i found the main window, i didn´t remember i took out the "main" name. Already manged to put some text on the main page.

As to problem nr 3, i guess i'll have to stick with what i have now, as there might be a way to separate the content area from the images area, but i just don´t know how.

thanks for your help

cruz / 2009-03-16 20:34:29   

It's hard to understand what you want to do. You're not using the exhibit formats available, why? They work perfectly Ok, imo, better than the inline styling you're using.

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 20:38:46   

I'm confused too...and you have two versions of Jquery in your template...that will kill alot of things from working.

free2hear / 2009-03-16 22:15:07   

@cruz
i'm using the exhibit formats available

@vaska what´s the version of jquery i should use and where to grab it?

please remember that i started from scratch a few days ago, i know almost nothing of css/html so i started to build something based on a number of views from source code from other sites built with indexhibit. so is quite natural that i made a few mistakes.

at this moment i'd only have one question left an that is:
at this page http://www.joaohenriques.com/index.php?/projects/180/m what
should i do to lower the gallery of images and make the text area (where is the title, the grey bar etc) stay at the top.

free2hear / 2009-03-16 22:15:48   

sorry this is the page
http://www.joaohenriques.com/index.php?/projects/180/

This thread has been closed, thank you.