What exhibition format is this?

ub3rj0hn / 2009-07-28 09:48:00   

http://www.elinewielenga.nl/f/mode/

I can't find what type of exhibition format this is.

Tali / 2009-07-28 10:14:32   

it's a custom job.

paucc A / 2009-07-28 12:16:55   

But is very similar to the iwakami format, search the forum for click switch.
It just doeasn't have the small thumbnail over it ....
Maybe you can write a custom format adding the thumbnails and share it to the rest of us in the forum?
;-)

Tali / 2009-07-28 13:48:58   

yes please... somebody? :)

Vaska A / 2009-07-28 13:53:46   

How about you try it yourself.

bhavnesh / 2009-07-28 18:14:36   
OMG, this is exactly what I'm after too! Nice and minimal as well.

Just searched "click switch", it's here if anyone needs it: iwakami

Originally from this thread: http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/1800/

t's not quite what I want, and unfortunately I'm not a programmer! Will have to wait until someone is kind enough to share a solution!

Bhav.

maronfive / 2009-07-29 07:30:25   

could be backgrounded plugin + custom?

djuve / 2009-07-29 23:27:01   

Hi everyone,

this exhibition format was exactly what I wanted as well, so I did what Vaska suggested and tried to make something similar, combining code from Iwakami, Backgrounded and Deux column (actually just cut-and-paste without really having a clue about php-coding:-)). Somehow I managed to create a format that is almost identical, except for the fade effect. Here is the plugin if someone else wants to have a go at it.

1. Now my problem is this: I want to have the nice fade effect between images. I tried to replace this:
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†return "function show_image(id)
  3.     {
  4.         $('.pic').hide();
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$('#p' + id).show();
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†return false;
  7.     }";
  8. with this:
  9. ¬†¬†¬†¬†return "function show_image(id)
  10.     {
  11.         $('.pic').fadeOut();
  12. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$('#p' + id).fadeIn();
  13. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†return false;
  14.     }";

but that didn't work very smoothly. Have a look at my test gallery to see what I'm talking about. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong here...?

Vaska A / 2009-07-30 00:48:27   

You're done...it works!

Now, why is it not working well? You need new Jquery...simple...go get it.

However, if you use new Jquery some other formats might not work well but this won't matter if you plan to only use this one. It's something to be aware of though as you test things out.

And, since you are the first to share this up...maybe you should name it? Djuve?

;)

djuve / 2009-07-30 01:55:10   

Thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, the fade effect is still not working properly... I upgraded my Jquery to version 1.3.2, but the problem is still there... It seems like instead of cross fading the images on top of each other, they fade in two separate instances, one below the other. Any ideas?

Vaska A / 2009-07-30 02:14:46   

Hmmm...that's odd. It's late though...should go to sleep. I'll take a peek sometime tomorrow to try to figure this out...

maronfive / 2009-07-30 07:31:13   

It's so strange:
i've tryng:here and work but without fade..

instead, when i connect at your webpage, i see the fade effects but for 1 second the big images repeat itself..

i used Mac safari and mac firefox latest releases...

lemathieu A / 2009-07-30 07:36:34   

it seem that something is happening here…
;)

maronfive / 2009-07-30 07:43:23   

Hello, thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks to Djuve:

maybe i've correct the bug:

function dynamicJS()
{
    return "function show_image(id)
    {
        $('.pic').hide();
        $('#p' + id).fadeIn();
        return false;
    }";

}

try here

maronfive / 2009-07-30 07:44:51   

the only problem is that if you click fast 2 times, appear two photos.. :((((

anyone have idea?

7 / 2009-07-30 10:57:28   

Good stuff guys, looks good on your site maronfive. I prefer the thumbs at the top than when they were at the bottom on yours.

What about the Thumbs though, some form of highlighting them as they go along? ;)

This reminds me of the Galleria format LesieOA was developing.

7 / 2009-07-30 10:57:30   

Good stuff guys, looks good on your site maronfive. I prefer the thumbs at the top than when they were at the bottom on yours.

What about the Thumbs though, some form of highlighting them as they go along? ;)

This reminds me of the Galleria format LesieOA was developing.

Vaska A / 2009-07-30 11:03:28   

Honestly guys...the more you bring this forward the more likely it is that one of us can step in and clean it all up. Keep going...do what you can...we're all watching...

;)

djuve / 2009-07-30 14:57:35   

@maronfive: I like your solution. Maybe a fade out isn't necessary, hide+fadeIn looks pretty good actually:) About the "click fast=2 photos" problem: just get the latest version of Jquery and it's all good.

@7: Thumb highlighting is a good idea, have been trying to incorporate it via CSS styling - tried to do the same thing as LesliOA in his Galleria, but no luck. Maybe another approach is better, but I don't know where to start...

con / 2009-07-30 16:13:52   

woah thanks djuve, this 'Djuve' plugin is great. Most impressive - thanks

Just to note that you need to change BASEURL to DIRNAME in the plugin itself where 'getimagesize()' is at – as per what Vaska said earlier

maronfive / 2009-07-30 16:42:15   

Quote, excellent work Djuve.

It's another splendid new plugin for this wonderful indexhibit!

Absolutely to install Jquery 1.3.2 of course...

P.S.: Could be fantastic to make the pics bottom the image..

@Con: we should change
    $x = getimagesize(BASEURL . GIMGS . '/' . $go['media_file']);

with:
    $x = getimagesize(DIRNAME . GIMGS . '/' . $go['media_file']);

only?

Thanks

djuve / 2009-07-30 17:30:26   

UPDATE:

- Tidied up the code a bit
- Named it Djuve (yes I know, shameless;))
- Added the image caption back in (originally only the image title would show, but I changed my mind)
- Changed BASEURL to DIRNAME (thanks Con)

Here it is: Djuve plugin

To install, put the plugin in your -/ndxz-studio/site/plugin folder.

To get the current fade effect to work optimally, upgrade your Jquery to 1.3.2 - (or if you don't want the fade, change .fadeIn() to .show() in the code)

djuve / 2009-07-30 17:40:18   

@maronfive: To put the thumbnails on the bottom you simply cut and paste the // thumb code underneath the // image code. It should look like this:

1. ¬†¬†¬†¬†// image
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "<div id='d-image'>n";
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= $b;
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "</div>n";
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "</div>nn";
  7. ¬†¬†¬†¬†// thumbs
  8. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "<div id='img-container'>n";
  9. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "<div id='d-thumbs'>n";
  10. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= $a;
  11. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "</div>n";

return $s;
}

iwakami / 2009-07-30 19:02:51   

what a nice weekend we're having here
keep it up!!

: D

Tali / 2009-07-31 00:38:46   

good work guys! :D

ub3rj0hn / 2009-07-31 21:20:31   

This is why I love Indexhibit.

I simply ask if a format exists, come back three days later and it's created.

Tali / 2009-08-01 08:52:43   

ok, here's my question..
After applying this plugin, can i then replace the thumbnails manually, by replacing the thumbnail image files in the gimgs directory (using the same file names of course)?

I'd like to get more of a close-up for the thumbnail image

I've tried to do this, and it seems to work, but the thumbnails i replace manually seem to take longer to load each time the page loads in the browser.

Tali / 2009-08-01 08:55:35   

oops, i actually meant this page..

Perhaps you can see what i mean on the first 2 thumbnails..
I've replaced them by uploading a new thumb img with the same file name, but they seem to load slower.

Am I doing something wrong here? :\
don't want to mess with your awesome plugin!

djuve / 2009-08-01 17:29:43   

Hi Tali,

you are not doing anything wrong (as far as I know) by manually replacing the thumbnails, the plugin just grabs the thumbnails by finding the files that start with the "sys" prefix and doesn't care about anything else.

Personally I didn't have any problems with slow loading when I visited your gallery, but maybe it helps to optimize/compress the thumbnails to the smallest possible file size?

While I'm here... did anybody try to incorporate thumbnail highlighting yet? (you know, highlighting the current image as you click along...) I've tried, but I gave up... Too advanced for me I'm afraid. Would have been great if someone else gave it a try though;)

jhowerto / 2009-08-03 21:01:16   

Great plugin, thanks djuve!

However, I have too many thumbnails and would like to only show 5-10 at a time.

Something like:

Previous< Thumbnails >Next

I'm completely new to coding. Does anyone know how to do this?

CinemafiaGroup / 2009-09-24 18:35:09   

Hey Djuve! I love your exhibition format, I'm using it on the soon-to-be-public beta version of my site, but I just want to change *one* little thing. I'd like to move the text below the images.

I've tried moving the 'content text' snippet in the exhibit.djuve.php file to various places, namely below the media/images section within the same createExhibit area, but I can manage to achieve is either making the text or images disappear.

Any suggestions?

moss / 2009-09-25 10:09:33   

Djuve! Great addition! thank you!

I have been fumbling about now for ages and trying to align the thumbnails with the images.. i can not work it out...what am i missing? can someone point me in the right direction, thanks...

moss

http://www.mauriceredmond.com/archive/bmw-gs-trophy-campaign/

moss / 2009-09-25 10:09:45   

Djuve! Great addition! thank you!

I have been fumbling about now for ages and trying to align the thumbnails with the images.. i can not work it out...what am i missing? can someone point me in the right direction, thanks...

moss

http://www.mauriceredmond.com/archive/bmw-gs-trophy-campaign/

moss / 2009-09-25 13:31:07   

Right for future reference.. after placing the thumbnails BELOW the main image as instructed above.. to align the thumbnails, if needed,

change the '#d-thumbs' line at the bottom of the plugin php..

function dynamicCSS()
{
    return "#d-image img {border: none; }
    #d-thumbs { margin: 0px 0 0 28px; }
    #d-thumbs img {padding-bottom: 0px; border: none; height: 40px; width: 40px; }
    #d-image { }";
}

mos

evilkiksass / 2009-09-26 22:25:48   

Hey Djuve, great plugin. It has some issues under race conditions though. It will leave you with 2 visible pictures. I have not looked at your code but am guessing that you are loading the next picture, displaying it, then removing the existing one and allowing the second one to take the first pictures place. You might want to have it remove then load instead. It might not look as nice but it should prevent this bug from happening. If you want to see it in action go here and mash your mouse on the main picture in the middle and you should see your scroll bar double in size and then stay that way within just a couple clicks. I am testing with Opera 10.00 on Windows 7.

moss / 2009-09-26 22:45:50   

@evilkiksass: just update your Jquery to the latest version 1.3.2 i think it is, and the double image issue will be resolved yo.

word

CinemafiaGroup / 2009-09-29 18:12:41   

Anybody have any suggestions on moving the text *below* the images with Djuve? I have been trying to do it by moving the code around in the exhibit.djuve.php file, to no avail.

Vaska A / 2009-09-29 20:35:33   

I send Djuve a note asking if I could make this an official release...last week. No response...I'm not sure what to do...

emuneck / 2009-10-28 20:53:12   

Hi All,
I dropped the Djuve pluggin into the pluggin folder and it hasn't shown up in the exhibit options. I have the latest version of jquery. Is there something else I need to do?

Cheers.

lemathieu A / 2009-10-28 21:49:11   

Nope… You can reupload it (sometimes ftp cuts during the transfers)

emuneck / 2009-10-28 22:44:07   

Yeah your right thanks, uploaded again and now it works. Always the simple things, like pluggin it in! Cheers.

kapodaki / 2009-11-05 18:55:45   

any suggestions on moving the text *below* the images?

kapodaki / 2009-11-05 18:56:08   

any suggestions on moving the text *below* the images?

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-07 13:54:31   

hello all and thanks to everyone here for making such a great product and community. i'm guessing nobody objects to my singling out vaska (and maybe eatock!) for extra praise.

i'm learning lots as i go on, mostly so far by cut-and-paste and a lot of forum reading.

i've googled and found jquery 1.3.2 but i have a question (or 3) ...

- i'm guessing i require the minified and gzipped version, am i right?

- i presume i want to rename it from 'jquery-1.3.2.min.js' to 'jquery.js' and drop it in the site/plugins folder. am i right about this too?

- does this affect any of the other plugins 'jquery.cycle.all.js' for instance?

lemathieu A / 2009-11-07 14:02:19   

1/ right
2/ right
3/ thickbox won't work anymore

elfneedsfoodbadly / 2009-11-07 14:26:01   

thanks lemathieu ...

so if i'm doing a site that uses thickbox i have to keep the previous version (i never updated past the v1.1.2 that i downloaded originally with Indexhibit)?

does this mean i can't have a site that uses the 'thickbox' exhibition style for one exhibit and 'djuve' for another?

(this is not much of a problem for me but i like to know if i'm breaking one thing while i fix another!)

lemathieu A / 2009-11-07 14:34:18   

1/ yep
2/ you can't
3/ you will break

or you can try to "update" the thickbox to jquery 1.3

jasmu / 2009-11-11 16:11:40   

yay, i'm glad i discovered your plugin djuve!
i was looking for exactly this, thank u, thank u!

kapodaki / 2009-12-18 17:31:05   

Hey! What's wrong with me? Why don't you answer my simple question? Please tell me how to place a text after / below the exhibit? Please tell me, please! Here is a page that i need to rearrange http://www.kapodaki.ru/proekty/kvartira-v-peterburge/

architorture / 2010-03-15 22:58:01   

hello,
I'm so excited about djuve, its the best!

One thing i want to change if possible is the behavior that when advancing to the next image, if the page has a scroll-bar, the page is returned to the top. I would like to keep the same portion of the page visible while viewing images.

example is here: example

any thoughts?
Thank you!

This thread has been closed, thank you.