Visual Index Plugin

Basti / 2009-10-14 12:02:41   

Hi,

I was just wondering if somebody could provide me with the Visual Index plugin (exhibit.visual_index.php). It´s no longer available under downloads.

Peace,
Basti

arsondpi / 2009-10-14 12:55:26   

If I remember well it's not supported anymore....

You can try and build it yourself or you can hardcode the whole thing depending on your skills...

Basti / 2009-10-14 13:10:50   

can I get it anyway? ;-)

smanns / 2010-02-12 16:04:04   

i tried to build the plugin on my own. but unfortunately i'm a photographer ...not a programmer ;-)
(with little knowledge in html/css/php)
so it didn't work out.

is there a way to get this wonderful visual index plugin?
thanks a lot

auric / 2010-02-15 16:12:27   

Here is a kind of plugin for something like a visual index.
I've write it for a project. Take it.
1. Download Visual Index Plugin
2. Put the file into: /site/plugin
3. In your text editor place this plugin: < plug:visual_index [id] />
'number' represents the database id number of the section for your thumbnails

rickykappa / 2010-02-16 19:43:39   

I'm testing it, but nothing happens. I have tried (of course I've erased the space after < ):
< plug:visual_index_2 [13] />
< plug:visual_index_2 (13) />
< plug:visual_index_2 13 />
where 13 is the id number of the section I'd like to have thumbs from.
Before uploading I've renamed the plugin adding a _2, therefore I call it consequently visual_index_2.
this is the test page

Another visual index test (the one not supported anymore :-/ arsondpi referes to) is here.
This latter is working well, on the same section as the _2, but it's not ordering the thumbs as my order, rather doing it chronologically, behaviour which I'm still unable to control.
Besides I like the feature of auric's plugin which lets specify the section from the text box, instead of creating several exhibit.visual_index_plugin for different sections indexing, like I'm doing now.

Axel / 2010-02-17 22:22:02   

Auric, it is absolutely great that you provide the download!!!
i have been searching such a solution for a long time. unfortunately i am not able to program that on my own. i installed it and it works fine for one section.

is it also possible to integrate text under the thumbnails like the image title or the title of the project?

thank you very, very much.

rickykappa / 2010-02-18 00:40:36   

@axel, it would be great if you could answer my question above, if you know how to make it work.
thank you very, very much ;-)

Axel / 2010-02-18 10:40:48   

@rickykappa, on my site the solution worked with:

i show the index on my homepage (in progress) www.retype.de but it only worked in one section. when i tried to put in two sections like this it did not work:

it did not also work when i tried to generate a visual index from my seciton number 4.

rickykappa / 2010-02-18 16:40:12   

@axel - thankyou for answering, I appreciate the intention, pity that the code doesn't show... :-/
(just in case you come back to here, try simply pasting the line and typing a blank space after the first < tag character, as I did in my previous post)

Axel / 2010-02-18 20:13:00   

hello again, i did not check my post after typing. sorry!
so here is the code i have talked about in my previous post.

at the moment this code on my landing page works:
< plug:visual_index 3 />

when i tried to put in two sections like this it did not work:
< plug:visual_index 3 />
< plug:visual_index 4 />

it also did not work when i tried to generate a visual index from my section number 4 alone.

hope it helps.

rickykappa / 2010-02-18 20:52:37   

thanx again Axel, so now I've seen my mistake was the most obvious: I shouldn't have changed the file name!
having gone back to the original name I'm at least having something to work with, if it's worth of... you can see the difference between the 2 solutions in the links of my first post in this thread.

I've no time now, but at the first look I guess you can't call the plugin more than once, instead should be possible, if I remember well, to call more parameter in the same line, as the example posted by the author

Axel / 2010-02-19 08:30:44   

hey, looks good on your test page. i will test other things later concerning to call more than one section for generating the visual index.
you mentioned that you also use the visual index plugin, which was provided here on the page a long time ago ;)
i know that there is no support anymore for it but can you post me please a link or a code or a download for it. i would love to test it on my page an try to modify it.

thanks in advance!

smanns / 2010-02-19 14:14:30   

@ auric

we love you!!!
thanks for the plugin.

rickykappa / 2010-02-19 21:35:52   

@axel, if you're interested in it than you should have read the other thread, where I've told to @smanns I want to be allowed before pulling it back, but I didn't see any sign of it.
therefore I'm sorry but I'm not going to post it here, if nothing changes.
I've only been lucky to be fast enough to download it one day and I'd share it with all of you, but this is not my home, where I can do what I want...
what would you do?

Axel / 2010-02-19 23:42:00   

ok i see. that is ok. i appreciate your behaviour. it is respectful to Vaska and his fabulous team and that is the right way!

rickykappa / 2010-02-22 22:24:13   

back here... I've done some more experimenting but soon I've discovered that the visual_index_2 is not working with ie! I don't want to loose more time on it, so I give up. If somebody else can manage, it would be nice to have results posted here again.

meanwhile I've rearranged my test pages, so if somebody still step into this thread this is the updated link to visual_index_2 test page, and the original Vaska's visual index test (the one not supported anymore) now is here. and that's my related working journal page for those really interested in more info about the subject.

auric / 2010-02-23 13:07:24   

Back after a long time.
I'm sorry. There was something wrong in my explanations.

In your text editor place this plugin: < plug:visual_index [id] />
'number' represents the database id number of the section for your thumbnails.

[id] means id number, not any number.
Sorry.

rickykappa / 2010-02-23 15:24:34   

@auric - thankyou for coming back to this thread, and yes, I figured out what you say but still there are other problems, which where already pointed out in the previous posts: first of all, as far as I've experienced, it doesn't work with ie7.
If you have a solution or you can tell if I'm doing something wrong, than it will be worth to figure out how to make use of the other options that your plugin is supposed to offer...

auric / 2010-02-23 16:48:59   

Hi there. I've solved the problem. Now there's a new updated version available.
Download Vesion 1.0.1: Visual index plugin

IE7 Bug is fixed.
In your CSS File you can modify and place now your overview with the ID — #visualindex.
Have fun.

rickykappa / 2010-02-23 17:53:54   

aha! that's nice!
I'll give a try in these days, thanx!

Skaatar / 2010-02-26 09:46:37   

hi,

this is really nice.

But, I have to ask some real newbie questions...

Is the plugin supposed to appear in the menu "exhibition format" ?

I think I have to put the codes somewhere first, right?
e.g . < plug:visual_index [3] />

but where???

in my style css ?
or in index.php ?

or directly in the exhibit ???

sorry, can someone write a descrition -for complete rookies- on how to get it running?

Axel / 2010-02-28 21:11:19   

hi skaatar, you have to put the code directly in the exhibit. it mostly makes sense to put the code on the landing page (home) of your website. that´s how i use the plugin and it works fine. but i don´t know if there are any other tricks to integrate the plugin anywhere else.

Axel / 2010-02-28 21:20:45   

hi auric, thanks, thanks, thanks! it works really fine.
one thing i tried to achieve is to put the title of the exhibit beneath the image. but i failed.

that is my code at the moment:
$s .= "< p >'$title'< /p >";
$s .= "< /a >\n";

please no laughing from any programmers ;)
can anybody help with the right syntax?

Axel / 2010-02-28 21:20:47   

hi auric, thanks, thanks, thanks! it works really fine.
one thing i tried to achieve is to put the title of the exhibit beneath the image. but i failed.

that is my code at the moment:
$s .= "< p >'$title'< /p >";
$s .= "< /a >\n";

please no laughing from any programmers ;)
can anybody help with the right syntax?

rickykappa / 2010-03-01 17:41:41   

ok, it's working for me too, with ie7 at least ;-)

@axel, I'm not a programmer, but I managed to get the titles, though I've no time now to style them.
this is what I did and worked at the first attempt:
1. added this in line 33 (after $hoehe....)
$title = ($page['title'] == '') ? '& nbsp;' : $page['title'];

2. added this at the end
$s .= "< strong>& nbsp;{$title}& nbsp;< /strong>\n";

erase the non necessary spaces in the html tags and space entity, this is just to show the code. Also note that in step 1 you have 2 "=" equal characters.

the result comes out funny at this stage, but obviously can be styled. you can see that in the same link I posted in the post above

@auric, thanx again ;-)
but do you know how to keep the preferred order of exhibits instead of having it ordered by date of change as it is now?

rickykappa / 2010-03-02 11:15:42   

I've styled it and validated XHTML 1.0 Transitional and CSS 2.1.
works are still going on, meanwhile the url changed again and now the page is here

Axel / 2010-03-09 20:53:20   

hi ricky, you are a programmer! ;))
that works fine. thank you very much for your work.

i also figured a solution out for it.
you can just add the following line at the end:

$s .= $page['title'];

should work also, too.

marwan / 2010-03-21 11:58:35   

if your images are not uploaded via the exhibit uploader but placed diectly via the general uploader, the visual index doesn't show the exhibit !!!!
how sad...

rickykappa / 2010-03-21 12:52:19   

@marwan - as a workaround, you could upload into the exhibit the image you want to appear in the visual index for that particular exhibit in order to get the thumb, which will be used by the visual index, and cancel the enlarged image via ftp. However not all browsers will like it and you'll get the alt text instead...
otherwise, if you call images manually into the exhibits (which somehow contraddicts the cms itself), why not building manually the visual index as well? ;-)

sk / 2010-03-22 12:08:04   

First, thanks for sharing the visual index plugin!

Since a week i've been trying to integrate the plugin into a website i'm working on. It all went ok, till i found out - at the end - that i can't organize my pages anymore by just moving the pages in the ndxz-studio. So, i started all over with the plugin written bij auric. I'm almost done, except that i don't get the thumbnail link to work.

My plugin.visual.index.php looks as follow:

1. <?php 

/**
* Visual Index
* Plugin
* @version 1.0.1
* @author Herrmann Germann
*/

function visual_index($id=0)
{
    $OBJ =& get_instance();
    global $rs;

if ($id == 0) return;

$pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT user_format, user_offset, url, title, content, pdate
        FROM ".PX."objects
        INNER JOIN ".PX."users
        WHERE status = 1
        AND hidden = 1
        ORDER BY ord ASC, pdate DESC");

if (!$pages) return;

$s = '';
    $s .= "\n";
    foreach ($pages as $page)
    {
        $s .= "< a href='". BASEURL . ($page['url']) ."'>";        
        $s .= "< img src='" . BASEURL . GIMGS . "/th-$page[media_file]' />";
        $s .= "

< a href='" . BASEURL . ndxz_rewriter($page['url']) . "'>$page[title]

\n";
        $s .= "";
    }
    $s .= "\n";

return $s;
}
?>

When you lookup the source code found on the url http://rva.lanman.nl/project/overzicht-projecten/ you will see that it shows the links as follow:

1. </div><div class='indexproject'>< a href='http://rva.lanman.nl/project/het-blauwe-hof-ypenburg/'>< img src='http://rva.lanman.nl/files/gimgs/th-' /><p>< a href='http://rva.lanman.nl/project/het-blauwe-hof-ypenburg/'>Het blauwe hof, Ypenburg</a></p>
  2. </a></div><div class='indexproject'>< a href='http://rva.lanman.nl/project/van-coothplein-breda/'>< img src='http://rva.lanman.nl/files/gimgs/th-' /><p>< a href='http://rva.lanman.nl/project/van-coothplein-breda/'>Van Coothplein, Breda</a></p>

I - think - i know it has to do with the media_file in the code. I tried a lot of combinations in the code:

1. $pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT user_format, user_offset, url, title, content, pdate  
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†FROM ".PX."objects 
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†INNER JOIN ".PX."users 
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†WHERE status = 1 
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†AND hidden = 1 
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†ORDER BY ord ASC, pdate DESC");

But i came to a point where my knowledge of php ends. I tried copying code out of other plugins, but it wasn't succesfull.
So, what i want to ask, is if someone could help me fix the code to get the thumbnail link working.. (media_file)

Thanks,

sk / 2010-03-22 14:20:40   

Ok the post above is a mess. Ill try it short. I'm trying to make some sort of an index file that shows all the pages out of one section.
I ended up taking the news plugin and removed the code that i would not use, like the permalink and date. What i end up with is shown at http://rva.lanman.nl/project/overzicht.
In the next step i tried combining the visual plugin showed above with the newsplugin to get the first image of a page on the news page.
I've been trying this for a week now, combining plugins and code but i always end up getting a blank page.

The code i have right now is found here:
http://www.stoutkramer.nl/code.html

I think it's a combination of rule 35 from the visual index plugin, but i fail defining the media_file in rule 17-22..

R

lota / 2010-03-25 20:11:23   

Hello,
First of all I should say I don't know anything about code.
I've been reading and re-reading this thread and other and I can't make this plugin work.

I copy the plugin into my plugin folder.
I worte the < plug:visual_index [id] /> in the text editor of the exhibit, in the title of the section... everywhere and with the number of the section the ID ... and I can't make it.

I've read what Skaatar ask, and what Axel answer.
I've copy the plugin in the Ehibit directly... no result

ok, after reading this all the people who know about programing must be laughing at least.

Sorry I'm new.

Can someone give a explanantion step by step please?

I'm sure that a lot of other people in the same situation as me will be veeery thankful!

Thanks a lot!

lota / 2010-03-26 18:04:24   

Well I finally manage to program from scratch a visual index without using any plugin. Much better, now I can control everything myself.

As some say here arround google is your best friend sometimes.

I want to thanks the indexhibit team for such a great job!

jspr / 2010-03-31 21:52:51   

@ Axel:
I've looked at your website and I'm quite impressed by your implementation of Visualindex, assuming you used auric's version that's posted in this thread.
I'm also using it on this page, still need to add titles and work on the css etc...but: I find the rollovers on the lower five of the thumbnails of your Retype frontpage far more attractive. How did you achieve this?

rowstyles / 2010-04-02 04:40:00   

This is some confusing stuff.

SK: Through another thread I amended a fix to the media_file portion of the code and won't up with something semi-working:

http://www.rowenfrazer.com/extra/icons2

Now I just need to figure out how to format it in a prettier way. I basically want all of the icons in a row and the captions to have a grey background with a bit of padding.

Don't know the best way of going about it but I'll figure it out.

Tara_Rotten / 2010-05-15 17:16:32   

Hii,

im so confused I have read through this post about 5 times..will someone please dumb it down for me and give me a step by step guide.

Tara_Rotten / 2010-05-15 17:17:36   

Hii,

im so confused I have read through this post about 5 times..will someone please dumb it down for me and give me a step by step guide.

ntlk / 2010-06-10 20:45:36   

Hey, I've managed to tweak it to my needs on MAMP and got it to work perfectly, like so:
http://ntlkdesign.co.uk/ndxz-studio/site/ntlk/localhost.png by setting it in the Indexhibit panel like so: http://ntlkdesign.co.uk/ndxz-studio/site/ntlk/localhost_cms_panel.png

Unfortunately, after uploading my new layout etc it stopped working and I've tried everything I could think of, unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find where the bug is.
http://ntlkdesign.co.uk/ I put it in the main page.

Here's what I've got now:

1. /**
  2. * Visual Index
  3. *
  4. * Plugin
  5. * @version 1.0.1
  6. * @author Herrmann Germann
  7. * @date 2010 Feb 23rd
  8. */
  9. function visual_index($id=0)
  10. {
  11. $OBJ =& get_instance();
  12.     global $rs;
  13.     $pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT id, media_file, url, title, media_order
  14. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†FROM ".PX."media, ".PX."objects
  15. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†WHERE media_ref_id = id
  16. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†AND hidden != '1'
  17. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†AND section_id = '$id'
  18. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†AND media_order = (SELECT MIN(media_order) FROM ".PX."media WHERE media_ref_id = id)");¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†        
  19. ¬†¬†¬†¬†if (!$pages) return;
  20. ¬†¬†¬†¬†$s = '';
  21. ¬†¬†¬†¬†foreach ($pages as $page)
  22.     {    
  23. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$imgsizes = getimagesize(DIRNAME . GIMGS . "/sys-$page[media_file]");
  24. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$breite = $imgsizes[0];
  25. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$hoehe = $imgsizes[1];
  26. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "< div class='visualthumb'>";
  27. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "< a href='http://ntlkdesign.co.uk/index.php?". ($page['url']) ."' />";
  28. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "< img src='http://ntlkdesign.co.uk/files/gimgs/sys-$page[media_file]' alt='$page[media_file]' width='$breite' height='$hoehe' style='border:0;padding-bottom:7px;' />
  29. n";
  30. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= $page['title'];
  31. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "</a>n";
  32. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†$s .= "</div>n";¬†¬†¬†¬†
  33.     }        
  34. ¬†¬†¬†¬†return $s;
  35. }

(I put in some extra spaces after '

ntlk / 2010-06-11 11:12:57   

Ok, gave up for now and done it by hand

jaydee / 2010-06-25 19:37:28   

have any of you guys tried this plugin ->
http://indexhibit.wikidot.com/plugins:gallery-summary

it's what I use to show the summary on my home page:
http://jamesdodd.net/

and the projects page:
http://jamesdodd.net/projects

you can choose whether the name & description show, how many images appear, the order they show in, which size, whether to exclude specific exhibits, or only show one.

Axel / 2010-06-29 19:09:13   

hi jaydee, i tried to get your plugin run - but failed. i get no title and description on my site. the features sound really good.
could you please make an example where you show the code?
do you use special css-things or a special theme?

rickykappa / 2010-06-30 07:50:14   

@axel - I've seen that site in a post a few months ago and remember that I couldn't make it work either...
that thread might have been erased meanwhile, Vaska didn't like it, as you can still understand here

christiandelia / 2010-07-22 04:38:56   

Nice stuff!

I need explanation step by step to understand everytinghs,

@ sk
how do you do this free position of thumb?

christiandelia / 2010-07-25 06:17:27   

...i start to using this nice index, and it's work!!!
i have little problem to link an exhibition folder.

i try to link the thumb image in the site/project/index.php

but also to make a section in the exhibit browser window,
and dont appear in the menu section on my site:

Christian D'Elia

christiandelia / 2010-07-27 01:56:49   

HI,
in the style.css i found this:

1. div#visualindex .indexproject a:hover {
  2. border: none;

it's possible to link this:

1. a:hover { 
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†text-decoration: none;
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†background-color: #FFFF99;
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†color: #555; }

i try to explain:
when you stay hover the thumb.image active the background-color of the project
in the section menu.

Ps: my menu dosen't work....

suggest ??? is welcome !!!
ciaooooo

smanns / 2010-08-03 13:56:07   

Hello everybody,

i m working to fix my probems with the visual index plugin. it works so far... which means
it shows the first picture of every section on the main site.
BUT: if i click on one of the pictures of the main site i then see all images of the section in "over and over" mode AND arrows for the slideshow, but the slideshow doesn't work. . . so i have 2 exhibition modes combined in a strange way...

What i like to have is a click on the image ( main page ) , then start for the slideshow to see the whole pictures/ section.

i hope you can understand the problem. . .

http://www.d-u-r-s-t.com/indexhibit_durst/index.php?/projects/alkonost-fashion/#

_ _ _ _

and the code for the V I plugin is:

smanns / 2010-08-03 13:56:45   

edit by Mat : double bubble

smanns / 2010-08-03 13:59:19   

uff, sorry her the code for the visual index plugin:

smanns / 2010-08-03 14:01:11   
  1. <?php 

/**
* Visual Index
* Plugin
* @version 1.0.1
* @author HG
* @date 2010 Feb 23rd
*/

function visual_index($id=0)
{
$OBJ =& get_instance();
global $rs;
$pages = $OBJ->db->fetchArray("SELECT id, media_file, url, title, media_order
        FROM ".PX."media, ".PX."objects
        WHERE media_ref_id = id
        AND hidden != '1'
        AND section_id = '$id'
        AND media_order = (SELECT MIN(media_order) FROM ".PX."media WHERE media_ref_id = id)
        ORDER BY ord ASC" );

if (!$pages) return;

$s = '';
    $s .= "\n";
    foreach ($pages as $page)
    {        
        $imgsizes = getimagesize(DIRNAME . GIMGS . "/th-$page[media_file]");
        $breite = $imgsizes[0];
        $hoehe = $imgsizes[1];         $s .= "";
        $s .= "";
        $s .= "
\n";