Sample/Index.php question

Split_Tapes / 2009-12-21 19:23:58   

Hi,
New to all this so apologies if this is a silly question.
I'm trying to create collapsable menus and was told to look for this code within the index.php file in the sample folder:

I tried editing the index.php file in my Sample folder but all that is in the file is this:

•Built with Indexhibit

Any ideas where the code is supposed to be?
My site is http://www.splittapes.com
Cheers,
Ben

Vaska A / 2009-12-21 20:14:27   

Yes, let me guess, you used Dreamweaver to edit?

Split_Tapes / 2009-12-21 20:26:06   

No, Text Edit on Mac. Is that a schoolboy error?

Vaska A / 2009-12-21 20:28:38   

Text Edit has both a code and design mode? You need to be in code view to see the template. If you are in design mode you will only see that one line of text on the page.

Most people who have this problem are using DW - which is why I asked. But you aren't...and you are using a good tool for the job.

;)

danielleid / 2009-12-21 20:32:21   

i think you may be referring to me as well, vaska- let me see if that solves my weird code problemo.

Thanks

Split_Tapes / 2009-12-21 20:34:24   

Ah thankyou, Text Edit doesn't have a code mode. Just tried it in Dreamweaver though and can see the code plainly now.
Problem solved.
Cheers!

danielleid / 2009-12-21 20:36:31   

hmm it does not, even in text edit still no menu list just the indexibit link?

Vaska A / 2009-12-21 20:51:49   

Correct, because the list is generated when you view the page. The actual code for it, which is complicated, can be found in the /ndxz-studio/site/plugin/index.php file.

But, if you want expanding menus just search the forum on 'expand' and you will find the source that everybody is using.

Vaska A / 2009-12-21 20:52:42   

Sorry my answer wasn't more precise in the first place...I kind of got off track on that one.

;)

danielleid / 2009-12-22 02:07:38   

who are you talking too vaska me or split? Sorry I'm so confused- I really want to get over these hurdles and use indexibit but I am close to giving up.

lemathieu A / 2009-12-22 08:54:24   

if you are on a Mac, donwload Smultron (free) or Coda (not free but worth the price).
Problem solved ?
;)

Vaska A / 2009-12-22 14:48:00   

I was talking to splittapes.

danielleid / 2009-12-24 01:54:56   

I am sorry but I do feel a bit bullied here, I am trying to regard the forum rules but I am also really new to javascript/jquery and indexibit as well- I think its amazing this project and I am eager to learn-- so I apologize for the double posting or questions that seem adolescent to you experts, I mean no disrespect. Like I said, I am just eager to understand the way the files work- I consider myself to have a good understanding of html and how ftp works and am using textedit but continue to have the same two problems which i posted about(maybe in the wrong way)? Anyway here they are again if anyone could assist me with what is going on it would be greatly appreciated! And Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays to all...
a) as splittapes was saying his code does not seem to be appearing on the index.php page where it should i,.e - no ul list (which is what I am trying to find)
and b) my thickbox stoped working mysteriously? I am not sure which version I am running but I did download the one that was posted in the forum by vaska.

Again thanks for help on this; site is michelledevereux.com

arsondpi / 2009-12-24 08:28:31   

Actually we don't bully people here. It's a free forum.

Your thickbox is not working because thickbox.js loads before jquery in the index.php file of your theme.
You must have edited something.... You should have something like:

1. <script type='text/javascript' src='<%baseurl%><%basename%>/site/js/jquery.js'></script>
  2. <script type='text/javascript' src='<%baseurl%><%basename%>/site/js/cookie.js'></script>
  3. <plug:front_lib_js />

...where plug:

1. <plug:front_lib_js />

is placed after

1. <script type='text/javascript' src='<%baseurl%><%basename%>/site/js/jquery.js'></script>

As for the first question, the menu gets created dynamically - if you know php you can edit what you want in ndxz-studio‚Üísite‚Üíplugin‚Üíindex.php

Otherwise if you want to affect how things appear and look then you can affect the menu via css in your style.css.

PS. Loved the "Bob Ross Tubing Bob Ross Tubing" painting :-D

qdong13 / 2009-12-24 16:50:56   

So the code for the expanding menus must go in the plugin>index.php file?

arsondpi / 2009-12-24 18:54:40   

????
qdong13 look in the Useful threads post for that...

danielleid / 2009-12-26 02:13:38   

arsondpi, you werent bulling me- no problem ;) thx for the help- i swear i didnt edit anything in my jquery but i will try and fix given what you have said to do.Can't I just write over the file with a new thickbox file?

I understand that to affect the menu style i edit the css but whats confusing me is the xhtml isnt showing up in the index.php page the "view source" of the page i.e from the view source in a toolbar shows the xhtml and the menu list but it is different code then whats in the index.php- I take it that is supposed to happen? This is obvious that I am unfamiliar with php =) I guess i will learn - glad yu like bob ross tubing; which is the title not supposed to be 2x- haha...

Vaska A / 2009-12-26 17:16:02   

I am sorry but I do feel a bit bullied here

Eh? I was talking to split tapes the whole time and never even saw one of your posts until after we had solved the problem. No idea what you are talking about...don't really appreciate the accusation either.

I suggest you read other peoples posts in a thread and understand how to properly post in a forum where your comments arrive and make more sense. You could have easily started another thread as well but you came in at mid-conversation and just assumed somebody was talking to you (and then got offended about it).

danielleid / 2009-12-27 00:32:44   

thats not what i was offended about vaska, I was just trying to save time since my question was similiar to split-tapes i thought someone could help us both and be done with it- i was pleasent enough in my posting not sure if I wasnt being clear or if I was missing something...regardless, i apologize and arsondpi answered my question immediately so i think its all cleared up. thanks again to both of you.

danielleid / 2009-12-27 00:37:10   

also, i posted in two different places because i had two seperate questions 1- thickbox question and 2- index.php question these both already had threads going- i thought i was following the rules by doing it this way (not starting a new thread when the question was already asked) am i mistaken?

This thread has been closed, thank you.