thickbox, jquery, collapsable menus

Max_Estes / 2010-01-10 19:18:13   

Much has been written, but has a solution ever been found to the collapsable menu turning off the thickbox function issue?

I can get collapsable menus to work, but my thickbox and slideshow function is disabled. Currently, my collapsable menus are disable and the thickbox is out of commission, I'm digging myself into a hole here. haha

Is there a correct version of jquery, jquery.thickbox out there to get collapsable / toggle menus and thickbox to work simultaneously?

www.maxestes.com

arsondpi / 2010-01-10 20:04:47   

don't know the script you're using...

I know this one which works with everything...

1. function expandingMenu(num) {
  2. ¬†¬†¬†¬†var speed = 500;
  3. ¬†¬†¬†¬†var item_title = $("#menu ul").eq(num).children(":first");
  4. ¬†¬†¬†¬†var items = $("#menu ul").eq(num).children().filter(function (index) { return index > 0; });
  5. ¬†¬†¬†¬†/* hide items if not active */
  6. ¬†¬†¬†¬†if (items.is(".active") == false) {
  7.         items.hide();
  8.     }
  9. ¬†¬†¬†¬†/* add click functions + pointer to title */
  10.     item_title.css({cursor:"pointer"}).toggle(
  11. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†function () {
  12.             items.show(speed);
  13. ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†}, function () {
  14.             items.hide(speed);
  15.         }
  16.     )
  17. }
Max_Estes / 2010-01-10 20:10:00   

Sorry for this silly question, but the above script belongs to which file, and goes where?

And does this script restore functionality to thickbox and slideshow when using expanding menus?

Thanks a million, I'm beyond lost at the moment. ; )

Max_Estes / 2010-01-10 20:51:16   

Thanks arsondpi,

I replaced my old expandingMenu.js script with the script above. My expanding menus are working again, though not collapsing when another is clicked. And I still cannot get the thickbox function to display more than thumbnails:

http://maxestes.com/patron/indexhibit_patron/

Any definitive fix for this yet? ...A jquery version that works etc. ?

Many thanks.

Max_Estes / 2010-01-10 20:53:03   

Just fixed it! Not sure how, but it's resolved. ...Seems to be anyhow. Now to figure out what I did to resolve it. haha

Thanks!

Max_Estes / 2010-01-10 21:06:56   

haha

conversation with myself here.... turns out I didn't fix the collapsable menu issue after all. They won't close when another is clicked, but my thickbox function works. ...I'd really, really, really love to have both functions. Hmm....

Any ideas are much appreciated. ; )

cazpear / 2010-09-28 23:12:06   

i'm having the same problem with thickbox/slideshow and expanding menu functionality as its been stated above. i've checked the expandingMenu.js script to make sure it matches the above example, everything appears in order, but i'm still only able to view the thumbnail image. is there a correct version of jquery, jquery.thickbox out there to get collapsable / toggle menus and thickbox to work simultaneously? thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

www.cazpear.com

arsondpi / 2010-09-29 09:18:42   

I don't see any pages in which you're using thickbox. Currently one can only guess...

cazpear / 2010-09-29 12:15:03   

sorry bout that
check under the "sketch" section, i have a few images posted in either of the categories 2010/2009. thanks for your help arsondpi

arsondpi / 2010-09-29 12:29:34   

You'vew edited the thickbox plugin and thickbox.js is missing from the array. Hance the plugin in not working... If you don't know what I'm talking about, check if this is in your plugin:

1. $exhibit['lib_js'] = array('thickbox.js');

and upload thickbox.js here.

cazpear / 2010-09-29 12:50:09   

found the line of script in my exhibit.thickbox.php in the plugin folder

$exhibit['lib_js'] = array('jquery.thickbox.js');

also located my jquery.thickbox.js in the js folder

hopefully this helps, this is my first webpage and introduction to html/css/php so i'm easily confused, but i'm eager to learn.

cazpear / 2010-09-30 12:52:02   

if i've edited or altered my thickbox plugin in some way, should i download a new version and replace the existing file? i'm pretty sure it has to do with a conflict with the expanding menu feature, because when i switch my template to "sample", which doesn't have expanding menu linked to it, the thickbox/slideshow exhibit formats function normally.

i really can't find anymore info about this issue besides this forum. thank you for your help arsondpi, if you have anymore insight for me, it would be much appreciated.

www.cazpear.com

arsondpi / 2010-09-30 14:21:22   

No.
For some reason jquery.thickbox.js is not loaded in your page... That's the problem.

cazpear / 2010-10-01 00:32:01   

thank you for your help, is there any way to resolve the issue? how do i load jquery.thickbox.js into my page?

aliwiper / 2011-08-29 12:09:52   

Hi - did anyone get a solution to this original question by Max Estses?

I have had both working, but there was a poblem with submenu items appearing fuzzy until they were clicked on (when using expandible menu) - so as advised here, i updated the jquery.js to the latest version. That fixed the fuzziness, but then the thickbox stopped working ...! I have now replaced with the old jquery.js, and am back with the fuzzy submenus but the thickbox is working ....

so - any ideas anyone?

Webpage

pernin / 2011-08-29 13:30:31   

you should edit your thickbox js-file as in this post:
http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/7521/

aliwiper / 2011-08-29 14:37:24   

thanks permin, thats great. it worked for the thickbox, but for some reason my fuzzy submenus are back (in firefox). hmmm thanks though!

pernin / 2011-08-29 14:46:56   

is there something behind the menu? you have an opacity 0.9 declaration and if you zoom in you can see different colours showing through the text. that will make it 'fuzzy'

you could try another typeface, a standard one to begin with, for example helvetica or arial, and see if the problem is still there, as it may also be a prob related to the browser trying to render a non-standard font

pernin / 2011-08-29 14:51:03   

yes, i think it's the typeface, it's ultra-thin and rendering may get you 'bleeding' probs

aliwiper / 2011-08-29 15:11:17   

the typeface is actually the same as the section titles, and when you click on one of the items in the submenu, all the submenu items turn normal (they thicken up to look like they should).

one quarter of the way down this page, Lashford82 describes axactly the same problem, which he fixed by updating the jquery.js. So I tried that, but then thickbox stopped working. I then followed you lead to fix the thickbox js-file, but then the 'fuzzy' came back!

Just tried changing the font to arial, the same thing happens but its not so noticable as the font is not so thin in the first place. but it is happening. and its not happening in safari, only firefox.

I'll leave it as arial for the time being - if you look closely, when you actually click on one of the links in the drop down menu, the font will thicken up for all the links in that menu ...

by the way - not sure about the 0.9 opacity, and nothing behind the menu - but should it be 1? and how can i make it 1? cheers!

pernin / 2011-08-29 15:31:31   

no, it's not the opacity

I checked with Chromium, Safari and FF, and though safari has better rendering, you can still see the 'fuzzyness'

thin fonts will have this prob, especially when surrounded by strong colours, in this case white text on black background: if you zoom in, you can see colour bleeding into the E of Exhibition. If you use a thin font, the bleeding will take over the whole thickness (or thinness, as it were) and it will look fuzzy

aliwiper / 2011-08-29 16:01:15   

Ok thanks a lot for checking it out.

This thread has been closed, thank you.