Example website organization

deusexmachina / 2010-02-04 22:02:03   

These are relatively novice questions, but here goes:

I am in the process of creating a website and have looked to other indexhibit sites for inspiration, looking at their source code. I seek to do some major modifications in the long term.

My understanding of the organization thus far is that the index.php in the root folder relates to the home page. If you desire to make major modification to other sections accessed through the menu (i.e. desiring a different background or layout to the section in question), you create specific .php files for those sections.

Or does one edit the exhibit.exhibitname.php files for this, and then select that particular exhibit file for the particular sections? i.e. If I want a scrolling gallery that spans the entire screen for several of the sections, with a black background, I edit the exhibit.exhibitname.php file? Or do I edit a .css file specific to the scrolling gallery?

Am I making this more difficult than it actually is?

deusexmachina / 2010-02-04 22:03:53   

I guess what would help is to see the folder organization of a website and see where files which correspond to specific sections are located etc..

deusexmachina / 2010-02-04 23:39:40   

here's my dirty attempt at modification, though I want to have the links go to a basic scrollable slideshow of images (at least for the photography stuff).

www.davidnebert.com

deusexmachina / 2010-02-05 06:53:04   

anything? can anyone point me in some direction?

arsondpi / 2010-02-05 10:09:31   

The index.php represents the core structure of your page - from the way the menu is going to appear to how your images are going to show off.

The style.css file affects the way your page is going to look like - fonts, colours etc. Of course style.css can also affect the structure of your page...

I suggest checking the red links in the Useful threads post - lots of info there of how things work, how to customize etc etc...

arsondpi / 2010-02-05 10:11:16   

Oh - just checked the site... you seem to have managed quite a lot. :-D

a basic scrollable slideshow of images

?? please define...
deusexmachina / 2010-02-05 18:01:57   

Thanks for the reply!

Ya, I've figured out a bit so far.. with resizable random background, animated menu, etc... however, I've never made a webpage before with a lot of navigation. And I'm attempting to do more than post images to the different exhibits.

The scrollable slideshow of images: uploaded images that one can "scroll" through by utilizing hotspots left and right of center. The menu and logo would be left alone, but I'd like to have the gallery span the entire page, left to right with the hotspots, black background.

I've downloaded a scroll.css file which states you can manipulate it to get your own look for the scrolling script, though I don't know how to implement it to the specific sections I desire to use it on. And I'm inexperienced in how to create the different navigable sections with indexhibit, which is my novice inquiry...

deusexmachina / 2010-02-06 16:42:29   

could others please contribute?

arsondpi / 2010-02-06 18:21:16   

what you're after is a custom plugin. I'd search for some carousel jquery tutorial/plugin and then incorporate it in the php plugin... There's a basic How to make a plugin tutorial in the Tutorials section on the left.

deusexmachina / 2010-02-06 23:06:46   

mmk thanks for the pointer!

This thread has been closed, thank you.