Slidethumbcombo- Open to 1st photo?

careyk / 2010-09-15 01:43:56   

I'm trying to figure out how to customize the slidethumbpower combo exhibit. I want the gallery to open to a full size photo, instead of the thumbnails page.

I tried editing the plugin with the code on this thread, but I ended up with the first full size image showing up underneath all of the thumbnails instead.

Here's an example of one of my pages that I'd like to open to a full size image instead of thumbnails:

http://careykirkella.com/portraits/kids/#

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you!

blameme / 2010-09-15 12:35:17   

Umm can´t you just use slideshow? or am I missing the point of what you want to do?

careyk / 2010-09-15 17:30:28   

Thanks for responding!

What I want is this:

Click on a link (or an exhibit) and it opens to a single image. Then the viewer can either click on the image or next button, OR they can click on the thumbnails link to take you to the page of all the thumbnails in that exhibit.

That's what I like about the slidethumbcombo exhibit- but I want the exhibit to open with 1 image instead of the thumbnails page. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

rickykappa / 2010-09-15 18:16:05   

I guess you can do that if you're ready to go through trial & error by editing the plugin itself.
I went close to what you say, combining the plugin and a simple hide/show javascript.
when you open a page you'll see both thumbs and a big image but when you click to see the next all the thumbs are hidden. it's all in the same page, no need to have a separate one for thumbs (if §I have understood what you mean...)
I've no time to check it now, but I guess it's only a matter of playing a bit with the .js
hope it helps ;-)

careyk / 2010-09-16 15:31:38   

'you'll see both thumbs and a big image but when you click to see the next all the thumbs are hidden.'

That would be fine too, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Every time I try to change something in the .js, I lose the function of clicking on a thumbnail to enlarge the image.

The link you sent looks like it only goes straight to a thumbnails page w/o a big image first too though- ?

Here's my site again, careykirkella.com

Can anyone give me suggestions of what to edit in the .js?
It seems to me like it would be something to do with the ('img-container'), the ('d-image')... or the
"function show_image(id)
but I'm a novice and would love any suggestions!

rickykappa / 2010-09-16 16:48:33   

hi, I've tried something here, it's a test page.
I edited only the function dynamicCSS, not the js, in the exhibit.slidethumbcobo.php plugin and it roughly works.
this is my test, I show here only the relevant part of the lines:

#d-image { display: none; ...your other rules are here... }
        #img-container { ...your other rules are here... }

and changed to:

#d-image { ...your other rules are here... }
        #img-container { display: none; ...your other rules are here... }

for some reason there is a problem to go back to the thumbnails, need to click the link twice the first time. it might be due to some other tweaks I have in my customized code, maybe it doesn't happen in your case, but I leave to you to check this out...
see if it works for you
;-)

hwm187 / 2010-09-16 19:33:25   

ricky - thanks for trying this out, its exactually what i want, although i seem to be missing the #img-container part. adding it in gives me a blank exhibit. any idea was i'm missing?

link is here

rickykappa / 2010-09-16 22:11:55   

@hwm - your link is a page with another plugin... that's probably the reason why you miss the #img-container: there is not such a div in the plugin you're using!
;-)

hwm187 / 2010-09-16 22:42:16   

ricky, i doubled checked, and am in fact using the exhibit.slidethumbcombo.php. Is this not the plugin we are dealing with? I even went back here to look at the original plugin - forum

can you show me the plugin your using - what you have is exactly what i want.

@careyk, you seem to have the same css as me, i assume your asking about the exhibit.slidethumbcombo.php too?

rickykappa / 2010-09-16 22:58:42   

@hvm - sorry, I've customized mine long time ago so I don't remember well all about, probably I've wrapped myself the whole part in the #img-container part, not so difficult I guess when you look at the code of my page and compare to yours...
I could make that plugin available, but at the moment the code is really a mess and I need time to clean it up and comment, and after all is the effort worth?
I've never thought that it could be interesting for others since it is a simple customization and it's really fitting only to my own stylesheet, it should be adapted for others...
also this last test has that double click issue and I'm not so willing to go through the process to work it out...

any thoughts about?

hwm187 / 2010-09-16 23:04:53   

ok well thanks for the help - i'll take a look at your current code, see if i can wrangle something together; and post results. Don't go to the trouble to make the exhibit, hopefully i will be able to find a simple solution -

appreciate the help!

careyk / 2010-09-17 18:42:37   

Thanks ricky!! It worked for me- with the original slidethumbcombo exhibit plugin. Except I have the same issue with having to click on the thumbnails link twice for it to work. If you do happen to feel like working that part out, I'd love to see what you come up with. Thanks again either way.

This is what I did:

Original:

function dynamicCSS()
{
    return "
        #d-image { display: none; }
        #d-image img { border: 13; }

Changed to:

function dynamicCSS()
{
    return "
        #d-image { }
        #img-container{ display:none; border: 13; }

careykirkella.com

hwm187 / 2010-09-17 21:17:12   

after some experimenting i got it to work for myself. Now, how do we crack this double click issue?

careyk / 2010-09-21 13:44:22   

Hi, I've been searching online for something to give me a clue about fixing the double click issue and I came across this:

setTimeout:

var clicks = 0;
(element).onclick = function() {
if(clicks==0) setTimeOut("checkClicks()", 250);
clicks++;
}
function checkClicks() {
if(clicks==1) { doSingleClick(); }
else { doDoubleClick; }
clicks = 0;
}

Here someone was talking about setting two different functions for a single click and a double click, but maybe there's something in there that would work. I just have no idea where in the .js I should try to put it. I'll try to play with it soon, but any suggestions?

careyk / 2010-09-21 14:12:38   

Hi, I realized we should be in the customize forum so I added my last post to this Thread

roose92 / 2011-03-22 01:53:53   

@careyk: looks like you've solved the double click issue (I checked out your site through your other posting - great photos, by the way!!!). Would you mind sharing how you did it?

This thread has been closed, thank you.